Pens' Crosby dabbles in goaltending
Sidney Crosby is a prolific goal scorer, but there was a time when he wanted to be a goaltender. He got his opportunity yesterday at the end of practice when he put on Marc-Andre Fleury's pads and got between the pipes.
"I don't know how awful I was, but it was fun," Crosby said. "But I had to be careful that I don't have any goalie-related injuries."
Though Crosby wasn't out-and-out terrible, neither Fleury nor backup Dany Sabourin has much to worry about from the defending NHL scoring champion.
"I think he's doing all right up front," Fleury said. "I think if he gets in the net, it may get a little rough."
Crosby is the leading Eastern Conference vote-getter for the annual NHL All-Star Game, which will be held in Atlanta on Jan. 27. In the first six days of voting, the 20-year-old Penguins captain has 94,118 votes, more than twice the total of Ottawa's Daniel Alfredsson (41,198), who is second among forwards. Crosby has more votes than the totals of the other two positions combined, ahead of Montreal defenseman Andrei Markov (48,134) and New York Rangers goaltender Henrik Lundqvist (30,324).
A sprained ankle will keep center Maxime Talbot out of the lineup for 5-to-7 days. He scored his second shorthanded goal of the season in Saturday's 4-3 overtime loss to the Rangers.
12 - Points for the Penguins in their first 11 home games last season, two more than in 2007-08.
65 - Goals scored by the Penguins through the first 20 games of last season, nine more than 2007-08.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Mears savors success, credits legendary Lange for guidance, inspiration
- Penguins minor league notebook: Pouliot impresses early in season
- Penguins notebook: Penguins getting fewer power-play opportunities
- Islanders outwork Penguins to sweep back-to-back meetings
- Replacing versatile Dupuis could prove difficult for Penguins
- Penguins’ Dupuis diagnosed with blood clot in lung
- Penguins roll past Sabres
- Penguins notebook: Dupuis to miss Penguins game in Montreal
- Penguins notebook: Fleury awaits word on when he’ll vie for 300th victory
- Fleury denied 300th win as Penguins lose to Islanders in shootout
- Penguins notebook: Dupuis’ absence will alter roles on penalty kill