Doan would prefer to remain with Coyotes
Don't print those Shane Doan Penguins sweaters just yet.
The free agent is aware of the Penguins' interest but, according to his agent, becoming Sidney Crosby's right wing is not imminent.
In fact, it sounds unlikely.
A return to Phoenix is clearly Doan's preference. The Coyotes, currently controlled by the NHL, are in the midst of an unstable financial situation, which is the only thing holding up Doan's return to Phoenix.
“We are still hoping this thing in Phoenix is going to work out,” Doan's agent, Terry Bross, told the Tribune-Review on Wednesday.
And if Doan decides that returning to the Coyotes is simply impossible, it's hardly a lock that he will choose the Penguins. Bross confirmed that the Penguins have made an offer, but they are hardly the only team interested.
“It would be premature to say Pittsburgh is definitely a possibility,” Bross said. “We plan to narrow it down to four to six teams by this weekend.”
Doan is 35, and the Penguins rarely make lengthy contract offers to players that age. However, to attain his services, a long-term deal seems paramount.
Asked if playing with Crosby in Pittsburgh could sway Doan to accept a short-term deal, Bross said, “I don't see that happening.”
If the Penguins want Doan, they'll likely have to offer a contract of at least three years.
Josh Yohe is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Suggestions are aplenty on what Penguins need to break through
- Penguins minor league notebook: Rookie Wilson emerges as 3rd-line NHL prospect
- Penguins notebook: Malkin could return Wednesday at Edmonton
- Stat dropoff, road struggles have Penguins seeking consistency
- Penguins finally break through, defeat Devils at Prudential Center
- Starkey: What are Penguins, Pirates up to?
- For Penguins coach Johnston, it’s a matter of substance over style
- Lapierre eager to make mark with Penguins
- Crosby banned from Jets game because he missed All-Star Game
- Capitals dominate overmatched Penguins in win at Verizon Center
- Penguins notebook: Bennett a healthy scratch