Breaking down the Penguins’ home opener
By Rob Rossi
Published: Tuesday, January 22, 2013, 10:52 p.m.
Updated: Wednesday, January 23, 2013
What fans need to know about attending the Penguins' home opener at Consol:
• Gates open at 5 p.m. Fans are encouraged to be seated at 6:50 p.m. for a pregame ceremony.
• Fans will receive a voucher for three free concession items. Merchandise is 50 percent off at PensGear stores, including at SouthSide Works, all day. (This will be the case for each of the first four home games, and gates will open 90 minutes early for the next three home dates.)
• Fans attending Wednesday will receive a free, gold “Great Day for Hockey” T-shirt.
• Security will screen fans with hand-held wands, similar to procedure for the Stanley Cup playoffs.
• Evgeni Malkin's Hart (MVP) and Art Ross (scoring) Trophies will be on display behind Section 110, as will his Ted Lindsay Award (outstanding player). The display opens at 5 p.m. and runs through second intermission.
• The Penguins are 23-12-9 in home openers.
• This is the third time the Penguins open at home against the Maple Leafs, who won in 2002 and 1978.
• The Penguins did not lose a home opener from 1986-96, going 8-0-2 over that span.
• Opponents ran off four straight victories from 2001-03 and 2005.
• Sidney Crosby has not scored a goal in a home opener since 2006.
Source: Penguins media relations; Tribune-Review research
- Senators on cusp of ouster against Penguins
- Neal, Iginla get back on track to lead Penguins
- Penguins notebook: Morrow sits; Bylsma changes lineup
- Penguins turn Game 4 into a blowout victory over the Senators
- Senators notebook: Stone gets call in place of Conacher
- Rossi: Late-game moves pay off
- Penguins notebook: Morrow leaves practice with injury
- Senators notebook: Pens' Crosby has defensive shadows
- Neal’s solid play soon could pay off on scoresheet for Penguins
- Penguins’ Cooke leans on family, Pittsburgh in rough week
- Penguins Insider: Players’ focus in right place
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.