Komisarek: Defending Malkin, Crosby can be a chore
The Trib's weekly hockey talk with ... Maple Leafs defenseman Mike Komisarek.
Q: Does playing against Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin ever get easier?
A: (Laughter) They keep getting better, so it keeps getting harder. What makes them so hard to defend is just how versatile they both are. There are some great players in the league who are difficult to defend, but some of those guys are kind of predictable. But Sid and Malkin aren't like that at all. They are both such great skaters that you never really feel comfortable against them. They are both great goal scorers and maybe the two best passers in the league. ... It takes a team effort to stop them. One man doesn't get it done. Playing against them is not really like any other tandem in the league.
Q: Is this building (Consol) a little different than Mellon Arena?
A: You could say that. The only thing in common is that they still sell it out and that you still have a great team to play against.
Q: Crosby and Malkin might be the players that scare you most, but is there more to the Penguins?
A: Oh, definitely. There isn't much that they don't do well. They're fast, they're physical, they have great goaltenders. I think anyone would agree that they're one of the best teams in the league right now. It's always a huge challenge having to deal with them.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penguins get their man in making trade with Toronto for Kessel
- Starkey: Rutherford hits jackpot with Kessel
- Penguins notebook: Rutherford proves savvy in deal
- Penguins notebook: Sheary hoping to return to organization
- Starkey: Kessel worth Penguins’ inquiry
- Defenseman Martin’s agent planning meeting with Penguins at draft
- Shopping season starts up for Penguins amid onset of free agency
- Downie, Ehrhoff lead list of likely Penguins leaving in free agency
- Examining the draft trends of the last 3 Penguins GMs
- Rossi: Gonchar is what Pens need
- Scouts think Penguins could regain luster with minor tinkering