Komisarek: Defending Malkin, Crosby can be a chore
By Josh Yohe
Published: Sunday, January 27, 2013, 12:01 a.m.
Updated: Sunday, January 27, 2013
The Trib's weekly hockey talk with ... Maple Leafs defenseman Mike Komisarek.
Q: Does playing against Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin ever get easier?
A: (Laughter) They keep getting better, so it keeps getting harder. What makes them so hard to defend is just how versatile they both are. There are some great players in the league who are difficult to defend, but some of those guys are kind of predictable. But Sid and Malkin aren't like that at all. They are both such great skaters that you never really feel comfortable against them. They are both great goal scorers and maybe the two best passers in the league. ... It takes a team effort to stop them. One man doesn't get it done. Playing against them is not really like any other tandem in the league.
Q: Is this building (Consol) a little different than Mellon Arena?
A: You could say that. The only thing in common is that they still sell it out and that you still have a great team to play against.
Q: Crosby and Malkin might be the players that scare you most, but is there more to the Penguins?
A: Oh, definitely. There isn't much that they don't do well. They're fast, they're physical, they have great goaltenders. I think anyone would agree that they're one of the best teams in the league right now. It's always a huge challenge having to deal with them.
- Letang dazzles with dynamic play in Game 5 win
- Alfredsson ponders his future
- Kovacevic: Pens improve under microscope
- Penguins notebook: Tickets for Eastern Conference final on sale today
- NHL commissioner Bettman talks Crosby, Olympics, outdoor games
- Penguins rout Senators, return to Eastern Conference final
- Pens will unveil even bigger TV screen for fans in Game 5
- Senators notebook: MacLean puts onus on veterans
- Senators on cusp of ouster against Penguins
- Penguins notebook: Morrow leaves practice with injury
- Neal, Iginla get back on track to lead Penguins
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.