Penguins notebook: Malkin on verbal abuse: 'It was my fault'
Center Evgeni Malkin is taking ownership of his unprofessional behavior at the end of the Penguins' 5-2 loss to the Toronto Maple Leafs at Consol Energy Center on Wednesday.
Malkin was tagged with a game misconduct penalty after the game for verbally abusing an on-ice official. He was not suspended for the incident.
“Of course I tried to talk to him in English,” Malkin said, jokingly, Thursday after the Penguins practiced at Consol Energy Center.
“I'm really mad at a couple (of) calls, but … I lose control. It was bad emotion. It was my fault.”
The Penguins were penalized 10 times against Toronto, including Malkin's misconduct and an unsportsmanlike conduct minor for captain Sidney Crosby.
• Wednesday marked another big day of support by Penguins fans. The game between the Penguins and Maple Leafs registered a 15.12 Nielsen rating for Root Sports Pittsburgh, translating to approximately 453,000 viewers throughout the region. It was the third most-watched regular-season game in Penguins history. Games last weekend at Philadelphia (NBC) and New York (Root) were watched by about 950,000, Nielsen reported.
• Also on Wednesday, the Penguins reported around $500,000 in merchandise sales at the PensGear stores at Consol Energy Center and SouthSide Works. Merchandise was sold at a 50-percent discount. That will continue on days of the next three home games.
• Coach Dan Bylsma on his decision to select LW Chris Kunitz as an alternate captain for home games: “He's a guy who has emerged on our team as a leader. With how he plays, he's a respected guy in that dressing room. He's not a real vocal guy, but he does speak and he does carry a lot of weight in our room. He certainly carries a lot of weight on the ice.” Kunitz (home) and D Brooks Orpik (road) will share alternate captain duties.
— Rob Rossi
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penguins’ Sutter is determined to keep scoring pressure on
- Penguins notebook: Malkin picture muddy
- Penguins notebook: Crosby ‘confident’ despite limited preseason time
- Penguins notebook: Consol ice still a matter of concern
- Penguins notebook: Scuderi OK with new defensive system
- Despres is relishing his regular role on Penguins’ blue line
- Penguins’ Kapanen bolsters chance to make team in exhibition win
- Healthy again, Penguins’ Dupuis eager for game action
- Penguins notebook: Wild beat Pens behind Pominville’s hat trick