Penguins notebook: Malkin on verbal abuse: 'It was my fault'
Center Evgeni Malkin is taking ownership of his unprofessional behavior at the end of the Penguins' 5-2 loss to the Toronto Maple Leafs at Consol Energy Center on Wednesday.
Malkin was tagged with a game misconduct penalty after the game for verbally abusing an on-ice official. He was not suspended for the incident.
“Of course I tried to talk to him in English,” Malkin said, jokingly, Thursday after the Penguins practiced at Consol Energy Center.
“I'm really mad at a couple (of) calls, but … I lose control. It was bad emotion. It was my fault.”
The Penguins were penalized 10 times against Toronto, including Malkin's misconduct and an unsportsmanlike conduct minor for captain Sidney Crosby.
• Wednesday marked another big day of support by Penguins fans. The game between the Penguins and Maple Leafs registered a 15.12 Nielsen rating for Root Sports Pittsburgh, translating to approximately 453,000 viewers throughout the region. It was the third most-watched regular-season game in Penguins history. Games last weekend at Philadelphia (NBC) and New York (Root) were watched by about 950,000, Nielsen reported.
• Also on Wednesday, the Penguins reported around $500,000 in merchandise sales at the PensGear stores at Consol Energy Center and SouthSide Works. Merchandise was sold at a 50-percent discount. That will continue on days of the next three home games.
• Coach Dan Bylsma on his decision to select LW Chris Kunitz as an alternate captain for home games: “He's a guy who has emerged on our team as a leader. With how he plays, he's a respected guy in that dressing room. He's not a real vocal guy, but he does speak and he does carry a lot of weight in our room. He certainly carries a lot of weight on the ice.” Kunitz (home) and D Brooks Orpik (road) will share alternate captain duties.
— Rob Rossi
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penguins notebook: Bennett a healthy scratch
- Penguins finally break through, defeat Devils at Prudential Center
- Starkey: What are Penguins, Pirates up to?
- Lapierre eager to make mark with Penguins
- Penguins’ Ehrhoff being tested for concussion
- Stat dropoff, road struggles have Penguins seeking consistency
- Penguins get physical, trade Goc for Blues’ Lapierre
- For Penguins coach Johnston, it’s a matter of substance over style
- Rossi: Crosby’s debt to NHL paid in full
- NHL All-Star Game notebook: Columbus, Johansen make strong showing
- Crosby banned from Jets game because he missed All-Star Game