Penguins notebook: Letang out again Saturday
• Defenseman Kris Letang did not accompany the Penguins to Newark, N.J., and will miss a second consecutive game Saturday against the Devils. Letang, who was hurt during a win at Washington on Sunday, is considered day to day with a lower-body injury.
• Upper St. Clair native Dylan Reese will play his second game for his hometown club. He was paired with rookie Simon Despres in the Penguins' win Thursday against Washington.
• A winter storm altered the Penguins' travel plans Friday. Instead of practicing at Consol Energy Center about 11 a.m. and then flying to Newark, the club departed via charter plane about 8 a.m. and practiced at a rink adjacent to Prudential Center about 2 p.m. Most flights into the New York metropolitan area were delayed or canceled as the National Weather Service called for up to 13 inches of snow through Friday night.
• Goalie Marc-Andre Fleury will make his third consecutive start Saturday. He has won three straight starts and stopped 70 of 75 shots over that span.
• The Penguins-Capitals game registered a 12.0 Nielsen rating for Root Sports. Each of the Penguins' 11 regular-season games has registered a double-digit rating. A rating point is equal to about 12,000 households. Penguins games are being watched by an average of about 357,600 people this season based on Nielsen research.
• The defense pairing of Brooks Orpik and Paul Martin had an impressive streak snapped against the Capitals. Orpik was penalized for roughing at 6:48 of the third period. That was the first penalty assessed to either Orpik or Martin this season. The Penguins are the NHL's second-least penalized club.
— Rob Rossi
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penguins’ prospects could hinge on health of Letang, Maataa
- Penguins notebook: Farnham relishes making opening-night roster
- Penguins at a glance entering 2015-16 season
- Kessel addition, better health could have Pens scoring like it’s 1990s
- Penguins release Gonchar, send Pouliot down
- Penguins star Crosby finding chemistry with new teammate Kessel
- Penguins’ Bennett takes big step forward with productive summer
- Rookie Sprong OK after injury scare in Penguins’ preseason finale
- Intrigue abounds for Penguins before season opener
- Plotnikov shines in Penguins’ preseason victory over Lightning
- Red Wings expose Penguins defense in victory