Pens coach: Malkin has short-term memory loss
By Rob Rossi
Published: Sunday, Feb. 24, 2013, 2:51 p.m.
Evgeni Malkin has a concussion and short-term memory loss, Penguins coach Dan Bylsma said Sunday night.
“He is feeling fine and his memory is returning,” Bylsma said. “The short-term memory in instances he didn't remember is returning.”
Malkin was injured Friday night on a hard collision into the boards during a win at home over Florida.
Bylsma said Sunday night that Malkin's symptoms are limited specifically to the memory loss.
Multiple sources told the Tribune-Review that Malkin was also experiencing severe headaches and disorientation Saturday morning.
Malkin did not play Sunday in a 5-3 win over the Tampa Bay Lightning at Consol Energy Center. He will not play this week on a three-game road trip, Bylsma said.
Several teammates, including captain Sidney Crosby, spoke with Malkin late Saturday afternoon. Malkin described himself then as “feeling better,” Crosby said.
Malkin, as he has in the past with injuries, lobbied the Penguins to play against Tampa Bay, multiple team officials said. He also tried to return early from knee-ligament surgery to play in Game 7 of a 2011 first-round playoff series.
He was injured Friday with 15:09 left in regulation of the Penguins' home win over the Florida Panthers. He didn't finish the game after sliding into the end boards following a hit by Florida defenseman Erik Gudbranson. The back of Malkin's head appeared to bounce off the boards, and his neck snapped back in a whiplash-like motion.
Staff writer Josh Yohe contributed. Rob Rossi is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. Reach him at firstname.lastname@example.org or via Twitter @RobRossi_Trib.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: Penguins’ Orpik among select NHLers going without gluten
- Penguins’ Orpik taken off ice on stretcher in loss to Bruins
- Penguins have never been better on power play
- Baby Penguins notebook: Goaltenders find their places in system
- Penguins notebook: Scuderi could practice within a week
- Penguins notebook: Malkin to miss 2nd straight game Saturday
- Penguins notebook: Injury keeps Malkin out against Sharks
- Jokinen takes center stage as fill-in for Pens’ Malkin
- Backup goalie Zatkoff has Penguins talking
- Penguins notebook: Top brass present to salute Guerin
- Penguins notebook: Malkin only No. 2 star for November