ShareThis Page

Penguins strive for the routine during Boston manhunt

| Friday, April 19, 2013, 11:21 p.m.
Federal Homeland Security police officers stand guard at Government Center in Boston on Friday, April 19, 2013, as the manhunt continued for Dzhokar Tsarnaev.

BOSTON — Dan Bylsma did not want “to be doing different things” Friday.

Bylsma, his Penguins coaching staff and players as well as team officials and employees, holed up inside a Boston hotel under lockdown as federal, state and local authorities hunted for what was believed to be the lone surviving suspect of the Boston Marathon bombings.

The Penguins treated Friday as if it were the first of two consecutive game days in as many cities — a situation with which they opened this shortened season at Philadelphia and at the New York Rangers on Jan. 19 and 20.

“It was the schedule we'd go through,” forward Craig Adams said. “But it was different.”

Head equipment manger Dana Heinze arrived at TD Garden, where the Penguins were scheduled to play the Boston Bruins on Friday night, by 6:30 a.m. His staff joined him around 8:30 a.m. By then members of the Penguins' medical and training staffs also were at the arena.

Bylsma said he and his assistant coaches “got up early … three or four of us went out for a two-block walk to get coffee.” Upon arriving at the coffee shop outside their hotel, across the street from Boston Common — the city's central public park — Bylsma and staff discovered the coffee shop was closing.

That was around 8 a.m., and “we got back to the hotel with a sense this was not normal,” Bylsma said.

About the same time, Adams received a text from Jim Britt, the Penguins' manager of team services. The text informed that an 11:30 a.m. practice at TD Garden was canceled.

“I didn't know what was going on, flipped on the TV and tried to get caught up,” Adams said.

Coaches and players gathered at a hotel conference room around 8:30 a.m. for a team breakfast, followed by a film session. Around 9 a.m., staffers at TD Garden returned to the hotel. Assistant to the general manger Tom Fitzgerald, who lives in Boston, had arranged their move from the arena.

Everyone associated with the Penguins met for lunch between 11 a.m. and noon. Players, coaches and staffers returned to their rooms after lunch, still not sure if the game would be played, postponed or canceled.

General manager Ray Shero spent some of his morning and a good bit of the early afternoon staying in contact with Bruins and NHL officials, who awaited information from the authorities before making a call on the game.

Also, Shero talked with Penguins officials in Pittsburgh to work on contingencies for possible schedule changes to accommodate a postponement of the Bruins game.

The Penguins were slated to play the Buffalo Sabres at Consol Energy Center on Saturday night, and that game was switched to Tuesday so the Penguins could face the Bruins at TD Garden on Saturday afternoon.

Boston police announced the game postponement just before 3 p.m. Still stuck in the hotel, the Penguins gathered around 6 p.m. for a team dinner.

Adams said he spent much of his day — before the postponement — “trying to prepare for a game” and getting updates on the manhunt from his wife, who “worked the Internet” from back in Pittsburgh.

He never “felt unsafe.”

Bylsma, who spoke with his wife “three or four times before 4 p.m.,” echoed Adams' sentiment.

“Like most people, we were waiting and looking for information as it developed,” Bylsma said. “You're concerned about the situation, concerned about the people of Boston and the city. You watch it unfold, and you don't know very much.”

Rob Rossi is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. Reach him at or via Twitter @RobRossi_Trib.

TribLIVE commenting policy

You are solely responsible for your comments and by using you agree to our Terms of Service.

We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.

While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.

We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers

We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.

We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.

We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.

We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.