Penguins notebook: Crosby skates, but no timetable for return
• Sidney Crosby (broken jaw) skated with defenseman Paul Martin (broken thumb) and right winger James Neal (concussion) on Tuesday morning. None of those players dressed against Buffalo. Crosby, out since March 30, missed a 10th consecutive game. There is no timetable for Crosby's return to practice or games, coach Dan Bylsma said.
• Neal and Martin have received clearance to resume practicing with teammates, Bylsma said. Neal, out since April 5, missed a seventh consecutive game Tuesday. Martin, injured March 28, has missed the last 11 games. Neal has not yet passed the baseline cognitive examination required for a concussed player to return to play. Bylsma has said Martin is the injured Penguin closest to returning, though that was before center Evgeni Malkin rejoined the lineup against Buffalo after a four-game absence because of a re-aggravated right shoulder injury.
• The Penguins play Thursday at New Jersey and Saturday at home against Carolina to end the 48-game regular season. The Stanley Cup playoffs will open no sooner than May 1 for the Penguins.
• Marc-Andre Fleury started for the Penguins against Buffalo. Fleury and his wife, Veronique, are expecting their first child (Estelle) any day. Bylsma said over the weekend he would like Fleury to play in three of the final four regular-season games. The Penguins could dress Eric Hartzell, a collegiate goalie they signed last week, if Fleury opted to attend his daughter's birth.
— Rob Rossi
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penguins get physical, trade Goc for Blues’ Lapierre
- No cross-checking here: Penguins misspell ‘Sidney’
- Penguins notebook: Crosby understands NHL’s reasoning for ban
- Crosby banned from Jets game because he missed All-Star Game
- Rossi: Crosby’s debt to NHL paid in full
- Penguins’ Fleury surrenders 7 goals in 1 period of NHL All-Star Game loss
- Letang produces 5 assists in return as Penguins defeat Jets, 5-3
- Penguins notebook: Letang’s status vs. Jets uncertain
- Penguins recall 4 players
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended 8 games for hit on Letang
- Crosby, Malkin dazzle fellow All-Stars