Penguins notebook: Malkin makes points run
Sidney Crosby's big Game 2 overshadowed another productive effort by center Evgeni Malkin on Friday night.
Malkin has consecutive multiple-point games in Round 2 against Ottawa and three in a row dating to Round 1.
He has recorded at least two points in all but one of eight postseason games this season — his best run since six straight games with multiple points during the 2009 playoffs. Malkin led the NHL in scoring that postseason with 36 points in 24 games and the Penguins won the Stanley Cup.
Not all good
Though he is scoring at a personal-best rate this postseason, Malkin is taking a lot of penalties.
He has been called for a penalty in three straight games. Malkin has played only three penalty-free games this postseason.
For the record
Crosby's Game 2 against Ottawa included his second playoff hat trick, 100th career point and taking over fourth place on the Penguins' career playoff scoring list.
Crosby's 100th point came on his first-period goal. He recorded it in his 75th playoff game. Mario Lemieux needed 50 games to score 100 postseason points. Crosby is the NHL's fifth-fastest player to the postseason century mark.
Crosby's second goal broke a short-lived tie with former Penguins center Ron Francis on the franchise's postseason scoring list.
With a first-period assist, defenseman Paul Martin extended his points streak to four games. That is the longest of his playoff career.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Sprint CEO weighs price cuts
- Steelers notebook: Brown calls Sanders’ comments about Roethlisberger ‘terrible’
- Rossi: Pirates must land Lester
- Hopwood bank robbery suspect agrees to tentative plea bargain
- After years of lobbying, Big Ben has Steelers running the no-huddle
- Duquesne teen to stand trial on charges he shot, killed unborn child
- Joe Greene only 2nd player in Steelers history to get number retired
- Beloved teacher at 3 Western Pa. schools hears from students across nation
- Steelers hold high hopes for pass defense
- Pirates notebook: Trade rumors for Red Sox pitcher Lester still swirling
- Protection-from-abuse orders public again in Fayette