Penguins notebook: Fleury looks sharp in practice
A lengthy practice Monday featured goalie Marc-Andre Fleury looking sharp and focused during various drills.
That has been the norm since Fleury was replaced as starter by Tomas Vokoun for Game 5 of a first-round Stanley Cup playoff series, coach Dan Bylsma said.
“We want to stay sharp in a lot of areas, and for our goaltenders it's the same thing,” Bylsma said Monday after a nearly 70-minute session at Consol Energy Center. “We're looking for them not only to see shots and situational speed but also five-on-five play. We saw the end of practice have that kind of action.”
The Penguins will not practice Tuesday but anticipate at least one more full-length session before Game 1 of their Eastern Conference final against Boston.
Vokoun is expected to start that best-of-seven series, but Bylsma has not named him the full-time starter.
“In terms of Marc-Andre Fleury, his attention for the last 10 days of practice, (his) focus, has been very good,” Bylsma said. “He's been practicing extremely well, and I think he's ready to go in there and stop pucks when he gets that chance.”
All players participated in Monday's practice. Drills included top special-teams units battling one another. Also, special attention was paid to breakouts, faceoffs and shooting.
Bylsma said he implemented drills that had been used only twice during practices since the end of the lockout in January.
The Penguins had not been told when to expect the East final to start, but players said they believe the series will begin Thursday or Friday.
It is possible the NHL will announce a date and start time for Game 1 before releasing the rest of the series, though the league does not expect to put out information until both Western Conference semifinal series have wrapped. Los Angeles and San Jose play a Game 7 on Tuesday night.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Inside the glass: Johnston’s opening practice grueling
- Penguins notebook: Crosby practices, feels better
- Crosby limited in early return to Penguins training camp
- Penguins’ new 3rd jersey similar to early 1990s version
- Rossi: At start, are Pens already finished?
- Crosby, Malkin to miss start of Penguins camp
- Penguins notebook: Hornqvist, Spaling will lead by example
- Recchi relishes new role with Penguins
- Penguins notebook: Martin not concerned about expiring contract
- Penguins’ Johnston eager to open 1st camp