Penguins notebook: Crosby hit hard by Paille
Crosby hit hard by Paille
BOSTON — Captain Sidney Crosby was leveled by a hard hit from Boston's Daniel Paille early in Game 4 of the Eastern Conference final Friday at TD Garden.
Crosby had just crossed into the offensive zone when Paille caught him from the blindside. Paille skated into Crosby, whose head was turned toward action at the other end of the ice. No penalty was called.
Crosby's neck snapped in a whiplash motion when he hit the ice.
He did not miss a shift immediately after the hit, but he was checked often by trainer Chris Stewart.
Players showing signs of concussion symptoms are required to be removed from the game setting to spend time in a quiet room before gaining clearance from a trained medical professional to return.
“It didn't feel good,” Crosby said. “But it was OK. Knocked the wind out of me. It was way out of the play. I think it's a penalty. It may have been so far from the play that they didn't see it.”
Defenseman Brooks Orpik played in Game 4 even though he finished the previous contest worse for wear after a hit from Milan Lucic of the Bruins. That hit — near the conclusion of a second overtime Wednesday — did not cause Orpik to experience concussion symptoms, he said.
Orpik said another part of his body hurt. His right shoulder and head appeared to hit the glass hard when Lucic caught him from behind in Game 4.
Coach Dan Bylsma only slightly altered his lineup, replacing Joe Vitale with Tyler Kennedy.
Bylsma had expressed satisfaction with many aspects of the Penguins' Game 3 performance — chances created and offensive-zone possession.
— Rob Rossi
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penguins notebook: Bennett a healthy scratch
- Penguins finally break through, defeat Devils at Prudential Center
- Lapierre eager to make mark with Penguins
- Stat dropoff, road struggles have Penguins seeking consistency
- Rossi: Crosby’s debt to NHL paid in full
- Crosby banned from Jets game because he missed All-Star Game
- For Penguins coach Johnston, it’s a matter of substance over style
- Starkey: What are Penguins, Pirates up to?
- Penguins’ Ehrhoff being tested for concussion
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended 8 games for hit on Letang
- Penguins notebook: Crosby understands NHL’s reasoning for ban