No offer, but Pens still targeting Adams
Negotiations between the Penguins and forward Craig Adams have yet to produce a contract offer, agent Neil Sheehy said Wednesday.
“They said they're still interested in getting him signed, but nothing is definitive,” Sheehy said.
Adams is one of six Penguins players set to become an unrestricted free agent at noon Friday. Another is left winger Matt Cooke, who is open to returning but has touched base with other interested clubs.
Potential free agents were permitted to speak with other clubs at 12:01 a.m. Wednesday. The new NHL labor contract allows for a two-day interviewing window, though agreements cannot be reached until Friday.
General manager Ray Shero said previously his plan for the two-day window would be altered by negotiations with his own players. The Penguins have about $4.1 million in cap space available for next season, but they generally like to keep $1 million free for in-season moves.
Around the locker room
Right winger Pascal Dupuis' new contract contains a limited-movement clause. Each year, Dupuis will be allowed to supply the Penguins with a list of teams to which he could be traded. Limited-movement clauses also were given to left winger Chris Kunitz and defenseman Kris Letang.
Bylsma preps for Olympics
Coach Dan Bylsma will spend a few days next week with Ron Wilson, the previous Team USA Olympic coach. Bylsma was named coach for the United States' men's Olympic squad this past Saturday.
Goalie coach coming
Bylsma is on track to hire a goaltending coach this month. He informally interviewed a few candidates over the NHL Entry Draft weekend. Gilles Meloche, the Penguins' previous goalie coach, has taken on another role with the organization that will require less travel.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penguins’ Lovejoy embracing defensive pairing with Pouliot
- Penguins notebook: Road trip increases in difficulty
- Penguins notebook: Crosby says he would play goal if needed
- Crosby, Malkin chase scoring title amid defense-minded league
- Penguins forwards struggle in loss to Avalanche
- Penguins need trade-deadline acquisitions to bring toughness
- Crosby fights, Penguins lose to Blue Jackets
- Penguins eye move for former center Staal
- Finding perfect pairing for Ehrhoff key for Penguins
- Under Rutherford, it’s been a sizeable shakeup for Penguins
- Penguins acquire defensemen Lovejoy, Cole in deadline deals