No offer, but Pens still targeting Adams
Negotiations between the Penguins and forward Craig Adams have yet to produce a contract offer, agent Neil Sheehy said Wednesday.
“They said they're still interested in getting him signed, but nothing is definitive,” Sheehy said.
Adams is one of six Penguins players set to become an unrestricted free agent at noon Friday. Another is left winger Matt Cooke, who is open to returning but has touched base with other interested clubs.
Potential free agents were permitted to speak with other clubs at 12:01 a.m. Wednesday. The new NHL labor contract allows for a two-day interviewing window, though agreements cannot be reached until Friday.
General manager Ray Shero said previously his plan for the two-day window would be altered by negotiations with his own players. The Penguins have about $4.1 million in cap space available for next season, but they generally like to keep $1 million free for in-season moves.
Around the locker room
Right winger Pascal Dupuis' new contract contains a limited-movement clause. Each year, Dupuis will be allowed to supply the Penguins with a list of teams to which he could be traded. Limited-movement clauses also were given to left winger Chris Kunitz and defenseman Kris Letang.
Bylsma preps for Olympics
Coach Dan Bylsma will spend a few days next week with Ron Wilson, the previous Team USA Olympic coach. Bylsma was named coach for the United States' men's Olympic squad this past Saturday.
Goalie coach coming
Bylsma is on track to hire a goaltending coach this month. He informally interviewed a few candidates over the NHL Entry Draft weekend. Gilles Meloche, the Penguins' previous goalie coach, has taken on another role with the organization that will require less travel.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Ex-Penguins defenseman Niskanen still miffed by coaches’ firings
- Minor league report: Other prospects on Penguins’ radar
- Penguins notebook: Memorable night for Pouliot, Trocheck
- Pouliot scores in NHL debut as Penguins tame Panthers
- Penguins star Crosby talks about his experience with mumps
- Penguins notebook: Kunitz ‘really close’ to return
- Penguins defenseman Letang having best season in new system
- Penguins continue to thrive, despite spate of ailments
- With 3 more players possibly affected, Pens’ mumps fight escalates
- Fleury’s career-best 6th shutout lifts Penguins over Avalanche in overtime
- Penguins notebook: Zatkoff returns to team as Fleury’s backup