Pens assistant Granato named to Bylsma's Team USA staff
The list of Penguins employees headed to the Winter Olympics keeps growing.
It was announced on Tuesday that Penguins assistant coach Tony Granato will be an assistant coach for Team USA's hockey team. Penguins coach Dan Bylsma is serving as Team USA's head coach.
Penguins video coordinator Andy Saucier will also be coming to Sochi and will serve in the same capacity for Team USA.
Granato, who has been an assistant with the Penguins since 2009, has deep roots in American hockey.
He played for Team USA in the 1988 Olympics and also represented his country in three world championships between 1985 and 1987. Granato also participated in two junior world championships and the 1991 Canada Cup.
His sister, Cammi Granato, is among the greatest women's players in American history and was the captain when Team USA claimed the gold medal at the 1998 games.
Granato will be joined behind the Team USA bench by Bylsma and assistant coaches Peter Laviolette and Todd Richards.
Laviolette is the head coach of the Philadelphia Flyers and took part in an infamous confrontation with Granato on April 1, 2012, when the two had to be separated during a verbal altercation at Consol Energy Center. Both have since laughed off the incident and are close friends off the ice, as Laviolette took part in Granato's wedding.
They were teammates with the New York Rangers in the 1980s.
Richards is close with many in the Penguins organization and is a former Wilkes-Barre/Scranton head coach. He currently serves as the Columbus Blue Jackets coach.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penguins minor league notebook: Rookie Wilson emerges as 3rd-line NHL prospect
- Suggestions are aplenty on what Penguins need to break through
- Penguins notebook: Malkin could return Wednesday at Edmonton
- Rossi: Crosby’s debt to NHL paid in full
- Starkey: What are Penguins, Pirates up to?
- Stat dropoff, road struggles have Penguins seeking consistency
- Penguins finally break through, defeat Devils at Prudential Center
- Penguins’ Ehrhoff being tested for concussion
- Crosby banned from Jets game because he missed All-Star Game
- For Penguins coach Johnston, it’s a matter of substance over style
- Capitals dominate overmatched Penguins in win at Verizon Center