Penguins release roster for annual rookie tournament
The Penguins released their roster for the rookie tournament that unofficially marks the start of training camp.
Most of the Penguins' top prospects will compete in the tournament, which begins Sept. 5 in London, Ontario, against prospects from the Chicago Blackhawks, Toronto Maple Leafs and Ottawa Senators.
Defensemen Derrick Pouliot, Olli Maatta and Scott Harrington, who figure to get a long look from coaches during training camp, will participate.
Other players who could make the Penguins' opening night roster — forwards Adam Payerl and Jayson Megna and defenseman Brian Dumoulin — will take part.
Goalies Eric Hartzell, Matt Murray and Tristan Jarry — the Penguins' 2013 second-round draft pick — also will attend along with highly regarded prospects Dominik Uher, Tom Kuhnhackl, Harrison Ruopp and Philip Samuelsson.
Penguins camp begins one week after the tournament
— Josh Yohe
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penguins need trade-deadline acquisitions to bring toughness
- Penguins notebook: Team exercising caution with Ehrhoff’s return from concussion
- Starkey: Penguins not mortgaging future
- Penguins acquire defensemen Lovejoy, Cole in deadline deals
- Penguins GM Rutherford not counting on Dupuis’ return
- Rangers up ante in Metropolitan Division with trade acquisitions
- Power play shines in Penguins’ home victory over Blue Jackets
- Penguins eye move for former center Staal
- Penguins notebook: ‘Skill practice’ part of optional workout
- Finding perfect pairing for Ehrhoff key for Penguins
- Baby Penguins notebook: Goalie Murray on historic run of success