Penguins release roster for annual rookie tournament
The Penguins released their roster for the rookie tournament that unofficially marks the start of training camp.
Most of the Penguins' top prospects will compete in the tournament, which begins Sept. 5 in London, Ontario, against prospects from the Chicago Blackhawks, Toronto Maple Leafs and Ottawa Senators.
Defensemen Derrick Pouliot, Olli Maatta and Scott Harrington, who figure to get a long look from coaches during training camp, will participate.
Other players who could make the Penguins' opening night roster — forwards Adam Payerl and Jayson Megna and defenseman Brian Dumoulin — will take part.
Goalies Eric Hartzell, Matt Murray and Tristan Jarry — the Penguins' 2013 second-round draft pick — also will attend along with highly regarded prospects Dominik Uher, Tom Kuhnhackl, Harrison Ruopp and Philip Samuelsson.
Penguins camp begins one week after the tournament
— Josh Yohe
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penguins co-owner Lemieux snuffs rumored rift with Crosby
- Penguins’ Perron returning to form
- Occupying playoff spot on Thanksgiving good harbinger for Penguins
- Starkey: Farewell to NHL fighting
- Hard-hitting Penguins veteran winger Kunitz is last of a dying breed
- Penguins notebook: Cole more at ease facing former team
- Penguins notebook: New NHL bye week sits well with Crosby
- Penguins notebook: Optional practice yields unusual defensemen demographic
- For ex-Penguin Martin, different city, same story
- Penguins can’t solve Sharks’ defense in defeat
- Dumoulin-Lovejoy combo emerges as Penguins’ go-to defensive tandem