Penguins release roster for annual rookie tournament
The Penguins released their roster for the rookie tournament that unofficially marks the start of training camp.
Most of the Penguins' top prospects will compete in the tournament, which begins Sept. 5 in London, Ontario, against prospects from the Chicago Blackhawks, Toronto Maple Leafs and Ottawa Senators.
Defensemen Derrick Pouliot, Olli Maatta and Scott Harrington, who figure to get a long look from coaches during training camp, will participate.
Other players who could make the Penguins' opening night roster — forwards Adam Payerl and Jayson Megna and defenseman Brian Dumoulin — will take part.
Goalies Eric Hartzell, Matt Murray and Tristan Jarry — the Penguins' 2013 second-round draft pick — also will attend along with highly regarded prospects Dominik Uher, Tom Kuhnhackl, Harrison Ruopp and Philip Samuelsson.
Penguins camp begins one week after the tournament
— Josh Yohe
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penguins notebook: Staal insists he never asked for trade to Penguins
- Penguins’ protracted slump continues with 5-2 loss at Carolina
- Penguins notebook: Adams says fight was to counter Blues’ brutish tactics
- Penguins defensemen Letang, Martin embrace heavy workload
- Penguins notebook: Ehrhoff exits early again after hitting his head
- Penguins considering making roster changes for postseason
- NHL scoring continues its decline in March
- Penguins notebook: Malkin, Hornqvist skate with team
- Fast starts hold key for Penguins down the stretch
- Penguins’ Dupuis will not return this season
- Penguins, Blues players adjust to roles with new teams