Penguins release roster for annual rookie tournament
The Penguins released their roster for the rookie tournament that unofficially marks the start of training camp.
Most of the Penguins' top prospects will compete in the tournament, which begins Sept. 5 in London, Ontario, against prospects from the Chicago Blackhawks, Toronto Maple Leafs and Ottawa Senators.
Defensemen Derrick Pouliot, Olli Maatta and Scott Harrington, who figure to get a long look from coaches during training camp, will participate.
Other players who could make the Penguins' opening night roster — forwards Adam Payerl and Jayson Megna and defenseman Brian Dumoulin — will take part.
Goalies Eric Hartzell, Matt Murray and Tristan Jarry — the Penguins' 2013 second-round draft pick — also will attend along with highly regarded prospects Dominik Uher, Tom Kuhnhackl, Harrison Ruopp and Philip Samuelsson.
Penguins camp begins one week after the tournament
— Josh Yohe
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penguins GM prepares for emotional series against Carolina
- Penguins notebook: Winning home games crucial for Penguins
- Mears savors success, credits legendary Lange for guidance, inspiration
- Penguins’ Scuderi, Despres an odd couple on defense
- Penguins notebook: Bennett to miss about 2 weeks
- Ehrhoff finding his way with Penguins
- Penguins notebook: Dupuis’ absence will alter roles on penalty kill
- Finding balance between toughness, excessiveness key for Penguins’ Downie
- Penguins notebook: Johnston calls Quinn ‘phenomenal’ coach, person
- Comeau’s hat trick leads Penguins; Crosby reaches 800 career points