Penguins release roster for annual rookie tournament
The Penguins released their roster for the rookie tournament that unofficially marks the start of training camp.
Most of the Penguins' top prospects will compete in the tournament, which begins Sept. 5 in London, Ontario, against prospects from the Chicago Blackhawks, Toronto Maple Leafs and Ottawa Senators.
Defensemen Derrick Pouliot, Olli Maatta and Scott Harrington, who figure to get a long look from coaches during training camp, will participate.
Other players who could make the Penguins' opening night roster — forwards Adam Payerl and Jayson Megna and defenseman Brian Dumoulin — will take part.
Goalies Eric Hartzell, Matt Murray and Tristan Jarry — the Penguins' 2013 second-round draft pick — also will attend along with highly regarded prospects Dominik Uher, Tom Kuhnhackl, Harrison Ruopp and Philip Samuelsson.
Penguins camp begins one week after the tournament
— Josh Yohe
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: Penguins’ best bet is on Martin
- Young defensemen make case for future with Penguins
- From injuries to front office, Penguins’ season didn’t lack drama
- Penguins president: General manager, coach won’t be fired
- Fleury valiant in defeat
- Penguins’ Malkin: ‘We’re not a championship team’
- Rossi: Rutherford falling apart, too
- Starkey: Tracing the Penguins’ demise
- Penguins eliminated with Game 5 overtime loss to Rangers
- Rangers’ defensive plan against Penguins was unwavering
- Penguins notebook: Lovejoy says individual play is problematic