Penguins release roster for annual rookie tournament
The Penguins released their roster for the rookie tournament that unofficially marks the start of training camp.
Most of the Penguins' top prospects will compete in the tournament, which begins Sept. 5 in London, Ontario, against prospects from the Chicago Blackhawks, Toronto Maple Leafs and Ottawa Senators.
Defensemen Derrick Pouliot, Olli Maatta and Scott Harrington, who figure to get a long look from coaches during training camp, will participate.
Other players who could make the Penguins' opening night roster — forwards Adam Payerl and Jayson Megna and defenseman Brian Dumoulin — will take part.
Goalies Eric Hartzell, Matt Murray and Tristan Jarry — the Penguins' 2013 second-round draft pick — also will attend along with highly regarded prospects Dominik Uher, Tom Kuhnhackl, Harrison Ruopp and Philip Samuelsson.
Penguins camp begins one week after the tournament
— Josh Yohe
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penguins notebook: Bennett a healthy scratch
- Stat dropoff, road struggles have Penguins seeking consistency
- Penguins’ Ehrhoff being tested for concussion
- Penguins finally break through, defeat Devils at Prudential Center
- Starkey: What are Penguins, Pirates up to?
- Penguins get physical, trade Goc for Blues’ Lapierre
- Penguins notebook: Crosby understands NHL’s reasoning for ban
- For Penguins coach Johnston, it’s a matter of substance over style
- Lapierre eager to make mark with Penguins
- Rossi: Penguins can’t waste this version of Malkin
- Rossi: Just showing up won’t work for Penguins