Penguins notebook: Rookies participate in pre-training camp tournament
London is calling for the Penguins' top prospects.
Rookies arrived Wednesday in London, Ontario, for a pre-training camp tournament. Other participating NHL clubs are Ottawa, Toronto and Chicago, with games running from Thursday to Sunday.
The Penguins invited 26 players to the tournament, including defensemen Scott Harrington and Olli Maatta, each of whom played for the London Knights of the Ontario Hockey League.
Plans for the Penguins' training camp were not finalized as of Wednesday, but most players will arrive in Pittsburgh by Monday.
Some players, including veteran wingers Pascal Dupuis and Chris Kunitz, already are holding workouts at Ice Castle in Castle Shannon.
Bales replacement hired
Mike Buckley is the Penguins' new goalie development coach.
He will replace Mike Bales, who held the position before he was hired to replace Gilles Meloche as goaltending coach in August. Buckley, 36, will work with goalies throughout the organization, focusing mostly on prospects such as Tristan Jarry and Matt Murray.
Both signed entry-level contracts Wednesday.
Buckley served as goaltending coach for New Hampshire, which reached the second round of the NCAA Tournament last season.
Prior to that job, Buckley also worked as goaltending coach for Massachusetts-Amherst and was president/head instructor at Goaltending Development Services Inc.
Trib, Pens team on radio
Penguins Live, the flagship program for digital radio station Penguins Radio 24/7, will be simulcast on Trib Live Radio this season.
The show will move from morning to afternoons, airing from 3 to 6 p.m. weekdays. Steve Kolbe, the former radio voice of the Washington Capitals for 14 seasons, will host Penguins Live starting Sept. 30. He also will handle play-by-play for four of the Penguins' six exhibition games, with Hockey Hall of Famer Mike Lange taking duties for two contests.
Rob Rossi is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. Reach him at email@example.com or via Twitter @RobRossi_Trib.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penguins notebook: Carcillo hopes to give team physical edge
- Inside the glass: Penguins’ Martin, Ehrhoff look comfortable together
- Penguins forward Megna’s skill set might be perfect fit
- Inside the glass: Sutter takes puck to face
- Penguins’ Rutherford hopes to raise Cup again
- Penguins notebook: Crosby sits, could be out ‘couple days’
- Crosby, Malkin to miss start of Penguins camp
- Penguins’ new 3rd jersey similar to early 1990s version
- Finally healthy, Letang looking to make his presence felt as a leader
- Penguins notebook: Crosby practices, feels better
- Crosby appreciates his relationship with Penguins fans