Jagr's likeness removed from Pens' locker room
Jaromir Jagr will be in the visitors' locker room Thursday night at Consol Energy Center as a member of the New Jersey Devils, but he won't be seen in the home locker room anymore.
An image bearing his likeness was quietly removed this summer from a ring of Penguins greats that circles the upper wall of the oval-shaped room, replaced with that of another standout alum, Mark Recchi.
Team officials declined comment on the move, other than to say the Penguins didn't want a currently active opponent having such a presence in that area.
Nothing else about Jagr's recognition from the Penguins has changed, including an image in the hallway just outside the locker room.
The ring inside the locker room is a remnant of the old Civic Arena's ring of honor that first was mounted on the front wall of high-level suites in 2003. Consol never had any such ring, save for the presentation in the locker room.
Jagr, 41, will begin his 20th NHL season — in addition to four seasons spent in Russia's Kontinental Hockey League and parts of three others in the Czech Elite League — Thursday. He signed with the Devils out of free agency in July, the contract calling for one year at $2 million, plus a $2 million bonus for 40 games.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Ex-Penguins defenseman Niskanen still miffed by coaches’ firings
- Penguins’ Sutter, Downie, Greiss being tested for mumps, out tonight
- Downie, Farnham bringing a much-needed edge to the Penguins
- Minor league report: Other prospects on Penguins’ radar
- Penguins notebook: Memorable night for Pouliot, Trocheck
- Penguins star Crosby talks about his experience with mumps
- With 3 more players possibly affected, Pens’ mumps fight escalates
- Pouliot scores in NHL debut as Penguins tame Panthers
- Penguins notebook: Zatkoff returns to team as Fleury’s backup
- Fleury’s career-best 6th shutout lifts Penguins over Avalanche in overtime
- Penguins defenseman Letang having best season in new system