• Defenseman Olli Maatta might be staying with the Penguins. Maatta, who has played nine NHL games and could be returned to his junior team in London, Ontario, practiced with the Penguins on Wednesday. “It's awesome to be here right now,” he said. “I haven't heard anything yet. I'm kind of nervous about it. I'm doing my best to be ready to play on Friday.” The Tribune-Review reported Sunday that the Penguins intend to keep Maatta past the nine-game cutoff, which requires teams to send teenagers back to their junior teams or trigger their first NHL contract. Coach Dan Bylsma said no decision has been made regarding Maatta, who was paired with Matt Niskanen during practice. Robert Bortuzzo and Deryk Engelland skated together. Bortuzzo and Engelland have been healthy scratches at times this season. Niskanen has been among the league's better defensemen. “I just have to be ready for anything,” Maatta said. “Whatever happens, happens.”
• Forwards Harry Zolnierczyk and Chris Conner were returned to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton of the AHL. Neither player scored in limited action with the Penguins, though the coaching staff said it was pleased with Zolnierczyk's physical play last Thursday in Philadelphia.
• Right wing Matt D'Agostini practiced again and is cleared to play Saturday in Toronto, when he will be eligible to be removed from long-term injured reserve.
• The Penguins had their longest practice of the season Wednesday, skating for 75 minutes at Southpointe while working extensively on one-on-one and special teams drills.
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
A division of Trib Total Media is your one-stop-shop for all of your branded merchandise needs.
We specialize in providing quality affordable promotional products for every type of business including non-profits, schools, universities, sports teams and more. With 1000’s of products to choose from, our knowledgeable staff can help you find the perfect apparel item or product to suit your needs and budget.
Why use TPSolutions?
• Quality, brand name, screen printed and embroidered apparel
• Competitive prices
• Free design services
• Volume and non-profit discounts available
• Quick turn around
We offer a wide variety of traditional and new digital advertising options customized to fit your needs!
Whether you're just starting out, or you've been a keystone in the community for years, our knowledgeable staff can provide you with a customized package including online banners/advertisements, Social Media Marketing (Facebook / Twitter), Website development, Search Engine Optimization, Email Marketing solutions and much more!
Contact your local sales rep today for details, personalized proposal and a meeting to discuss how we can meet your needs.