Penguins notebook: Martin day-to-day with lower-body injury
• Paul Martin's injury situation became clearer Monday. Martin, who did not play Saturday at St. Louis, is day-to-day with a lower-body injury, coachDan Bylsma said after practice at Southpointe Iceoplex. Martin, whose absences had been attributed to “maintenance days,” has missed three consecutive practices in addition to the game. Bylsma said Martin missing a home game against Philadelphia on Wednesday was “a possibility.”
• With Martin out, the Penguins tried new defense pairings Monday. Brooks Orpik worked with Deryk Engelland and Kris Letang with rookie Olli Maatta. Matt Niskanen skated with Robert Bortuzzo. “We really wanted to see that pair together,” Bylsma said of the Letang-Maatta pairing. “We may see that pair together on Wednesday. We haven't played our best as pairs the last three games, in particular the last game (Saturday) with Martin out.”
• Winger Tanner Glass did not practice Monday. He was out because of a “maintenance day,” which usually means a player is being rested or dealing with an injury that Penguins physicians have not completely identified.
• Maatta will not practice Tuesday, Bylsma said. “He has an immigration issue to take care of,” Bylsma said, adding he expected Maatta to play Wednesday. Maatta, 19, is a native of Finland, which had granted him permission to play junior hockey in Canada, not for an NHL team in the United States. This season will count as his first toward unrestricted free agency if Maatta is on the Penguins' roster for their 40th game.
• Players participated in the seventh annual Project Bundle-Up at The Mall in Robinson. Each player was paired with an underprivileged child from Washington County. Those children were provided free winter gear — coats, caps, gloves and boots — with funds provided by the Salvation Army.
– Rob Rossi
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Starkey: Penguins not mortgaging future
- Penguins GM Rutherford not counting on Dupuis’ return
- Penguins acquire defensemen Lovejoy, Cole in deadline deals
- Rangers up ante in Metropolitan Division with trade acquisitions
- Penguins notebook: ‘Skill practice’ part of optional workout
- Crosby fights, Penguins lose to Blue Jackets
- Penguins eye move for former center Staal
- Penguins finally find way to beat Capitals
- Finding perfect pairing for Ehrhoff key for Penguins
- Starkey: Penguins still forging identity
- Under Rutherford, it’s been a sizeable shakeup for Penguins