Crosby chasing Gretzky, Lemieux as game's greatest offensive catalyst
Sidney Crosby attained a pair of career milestones recently, tallying his 250th career goal and 450th career assist to push past the 700-point mark. The NHL points leader is the sixth player in franchise history to score at least 250 goals, joining Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, Jean Pronovost, Rick Kehoe and Kevin Stevens. The 450-assist, 700-point clubs are more exclusive; Lemieux, Jagr and Crosby are the only Pens members.
Crosby's ascent on the NHL's leaderboards has been slowed only by injuries. Among active skaters, he needed the fewest games played to notch 700 career points. Crosby's primary competition for the title of the NHL's top player, Alex Ovechkin, played the equivalent of another full season before reaching 700.
Fewest games played to reach 700 points among active players
Player Team Games
Sidney Crosby Penguins 497
Teemu Selanne Jets/Ducks 531
Jaromir Jagr Penguins 557
Alex Ovechkin Capitals 579
Dany Heatley Thrashers/Senators/Sharks 685
As of age 26, Crosby has the fifth-most points per game (1.41) in NHL history, trailing just Wayne Gretzky, Lemieux, Mike Bossy and Jari Kurri. That sells Crosby's offensive prowess short. The Pens' captain has played during a much less scoring-happy era (teams have registered an average of 7.58 points per game from 2005-06 to the present) than Bossy (9.7 team points per game) and Kurri (10.3).
Once you adjust for league-wide scoring levels, Crosby ranks as the third-best offensive player at this stage of his career.
Share and share alike
Highest OPS per Game as of age 26
Player Years OPS/Game
Wayne Gretzky 1980-87 .191
Mario Lemieux 1985-1992 .162
Sidney Crosby 2006-2014 .142
Bobby Orr 1967-1975 .139
Alex Ovechkin 2006-12 .137
David Golebiewski is a freelance writer.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Downie, Farnham bringing a much-needed edge to the Penguins
- Ex-Penguins defenseman Niskanen still miffed by coaches’ firings
- Minor league report: Other prospects on Penguins’ radar
- Penguins notebook: Memorable night for Pouliot, Trocheck
- Pouliot scores in NHL debut as Penguins tame Panthers
- Penguins notebook: Zatkoff returns to team as Fleury’s backup
- Penguins notebook: Kunitz ‘really close’ to return
- Penguins star Crosby talks about his experience with mumps
- Penguins defenseman Letang having best season in new system
- Penguins continue to thrive, despite spate of ailments
- With 3 more players possibly affected, Pens’ mumps fight escalates