Penguins notebook: Glass, Scuderi close to returning to lineup
Tanner Glass has the doctor's approval. He just needs to be able to trust his body.
Rob Scuderi has the opposite issue.
Each is progressing toward a return. Winger Glass (broken hand) and defenseman Scuderi (broken ankle) participated in Friday's practice.
Although neither officially was ruled out, it is unlikely either will play against the Flames on Saturday afternoon.
“Tanner is progressing back to play, I think, a little bit quicker than Rob is (by) maybe a game or two,” coach Dan Bylsma said.
Glass has missed 13 consecutive games, and Scuderi hasn't played since Oct. 26. Glass said he has been medically cleared, and although he added that playing Saturday “is a possibility,” he didn't sound too optimistic.
“It's really uncomfortable right now with a stick in my hand,” Glass said, “and if it feels weak and feels like it's not stable in my hand, I don't want to put myself and the team in a situation where maybe I'm not at my best out there and can hurt the team, especially with things going so good right now. I don't want to jinx anything or screw it up.”
Scuderi said he “feels good” and is “as close as I can be” to playing. But awaiting doctor's clearance for absorbing contact comes first.
Malkin out Saturday
Although he skated on his own beforehand, Evgeni Malkin did not practice Friday and will not play Saturday.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Injured Penguins optimistic about returning next season
- Crosby, Malkin want to remain in Pittsburgh
- Coach Johnston trying to figure out why Penguins ‘fell off a cliff’
- Penguins notebook: Crosby to play in worlds for 1st time since 2006
- Rossi: Penguins’ best bet is on Martin
- Young defensemen make case for future with Penguins
- From injuries to front office, Penguins’ season didn’t lack drama
- Penguins president: General manager, coach won’t be fired
- Penguins’ Malkin: ‘We’re not a championship team’
- Fleury valiant in defeat
- Penguins eliminated with Game 5 overtime loss to Rangers