Penguins notebook: Martin to be evaluated by team doctors Wednesday
• Defenseman Paul Martin is expected to miss his 23rd consecutive game for the Penguins on Wednesday, but that run might not continue much longer. Martin (tibia) continues to skate with injured teammates and will be evaluated by team doctors Wednesday, coach Dan Bylsma said after practice Monday. The Penguins play only once before Monday. Martin, should he receive return-to-contact clearance Wednesday, would have three chances for full practices.
• Winger Jayson Megna (knee) also will be examined Wednesday, Bylsma said. Megna has missed 12 consecutive games. His return could coincide with that of forward Brian Gibbons, who is out a week with a lower-body injury. Gibbons was injured in a win at Calgary on Saturday.
• Center Joe Vitale will miss three weeks with what Bylsma described as an upper-body injury. Vitale had his wrist immobilized after an OT loss at Edmonton on Friday night.
• Captain Sidney Crosby avoided serious injury after crashing hard into a goal post during a short-rink game Monday. With the two goal nets placed against the boards at Consol Energy Center's center ice and the respective blue lines serving as bounds markers, players engaged in quasi-scrimmage. Crosby was upended, and he slid into the net. He pronounced himself fine after practice.
• Center Brandon Sutter said he feels embarrassed, but stressed he was unaware that Root Sports Pittsburgh cameras accidentally caught him naked after a training-room door opened during a post-game broadcast player interview at Calgary on Sunday night. Sutter said he and some teammates were watching a Canadian television broadcast of another game at the time and not paying attention to the Root Sports Pittsburgh camera.
— Rob Rossi
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Healthy again, Penguins’ Dupuis eager for game action
- Penguins notebook: Wild beat Pens behind Pominville’s hat trick
- Penguins notebook: Scuderi OK with new defensive system
- Ex-assistant Granato: No animosity toward Penguins
- With analytics, NHL is whole new game
- Penguins’ Kapanen bolsters chance to make team in exhibition win
- Penguins notebook: Consol ice still a matter of concern
- Penguins notebook: Ex-teammate Cooke says ‘I feel for’ Shero, Bylsma
- Veteran right winger Adams fighting for roster spot with Penguins
- Apparent knee injury leaves Penguins’ Bennett in limbo
- Wings coach Babcock does not hide affection for Penguins’ Crosby