Penguins notebook: Bennett to return to full practice
More than four months after suffering a broken wrist, forward Beau Bennett was cleared to return to full practice Monday.
A first-round pick in 2010, Bennett, who has missed the past 43 games, has one goal and two assists in 12 games this season.
He was playing as Sidney Crosby's wing at the time of his injury Nov. 12. Bennett had 14 points in his final 22 games as a rookie last season.
• After going three years between missing games with an injury, Chris Kunitz missed his second consecutive game Sunday. Kunitz suffered a lower-body injury after crashing into the goal post in Tuesday's win against Washington. Kunitz practiced Friday. “He's doing well, but not well enough to be in the lineup,” coach Dan Bylsma said.
• For only the second time this season, Marc-Andre Fleury started games on consecutive days. Fleury faced 40 shots in a 4-0 defeat Saturday against the Flyers in Philadelphia. He was solid Sunday but was pulled after allowing three goals on 15 shots over the first 13:41 behind spotty defense and penalty killing in front of him. Jeff Zatkoff made his second career relief appearance, stopping 19 of 20 shots.
• The Penguins' special teams are a primary reason they're in the race for the top seed in the Eastern Conference. The power play and penalty kill, though, were the reasons they were swept in a weekend home-and-home. The Flyers had three power-play goals, two short-handed goals and killed off all nine of the Penguins' power plays Saturday and Sunday. The Penguins entered Sunday with the league's No. 1 power play and No. 2 penalty kill.
• For the first time this month, defenseman Simon Despres was a healthy scratch. Robert Bortuzzo was back in the lineup after being scratched Saturday. Despres took a penalty during his first shift Saturday, and the Flyers scored on the resulting power play.
— Chris Adamski
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penguins get physical, trade Goc for Blues’ Lapierre
- No cross-checking here: Penguins misspell ‘Sidney’
- Penguins notebook: Crosby understands NHL’s reasoning for ban
- Crosby banned from Jets game because he missed All-Star Game
- Letang produces 5 assists in return as Penguins defeat Jets, 5-3
- Rossi: Crosby’s debt to NHL paid in full
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended 8 games for hit on Letang
- Crosby, Malkin dazzle fellow All-Stars
- Penguins’ Fleury surrenders 7 goals in 1 period of NHL All-Star Game loss
- Penguins recall 4 players
- Penguins notebook: Letang’s status vs. Jets uncertain