Penguins notebook: Bennett to return to full practice
More than four months after suffering a broken wrist, forward Beau Bennett was cleared to return to full practice Monday.
A first-round pick in 2010, Bennett, who has missed the past 43 games, has one goal and two assists in 12 games this season.
He was playing as Sidney Crosby's wing at the time of his injury Nov. 12. Bennett had 14 points in his final 22 games as a rookie last season.
• After going three years between missing games with an injury, Chris Kunitz missed his second consecutive game Sunday. Kunitz suffered a lower-body injury after crashing into the goal post in Tuesday's win against Washington. Kunitz practiced Friday. “He's doing well, but not well enough to be in the lineup,” coach Dan Bylsma said.
• For only the second time this season, Marc-Andre Fleury started games on consecutive days. Fleury faced 40 shots in a 4-0 defeat Saturday against the Flyers in Philadelphia. He was solid Sunday but was pulled after allowing three goals on 15 shots over the first 13:41 behind spotty defense and penalty killing in front of him. Jeff Zatkoff made his second career relief appearance, stopping 19 of 20 shots.
• The Penguins' special teams are a primary reason they're in the race for the top seed in the Eastern Conference. The power play and penalty kill, though, were the reasons they were swept in a weekend home-and-home. The Flyers had three power-play goals, two short-handed goals and killed off all nine of the Penguins' power plays Saturday and Sunday. The Penguins entered Sunday with the league's No. 1 power play and No. 2 penalty kill.
• For the first time this month, defenseman Simon Despres was a healthy scratch. Robert Bortuzzo was back in the lineup after being scratched Saturday. Despres took a penalty during his first shift Saturday, and the Flyers scored on the resulting power play.
— Chris Adamski
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penguins continue to thrive, despite spate of ailments
- With 3 more players possibly affected, Pens’ mumps fight escalates
- Penguins notebook: Kunitz tests foot by skating during practice
- ‘Rash of sickness’ hits Crosby, Penguins
- Penguins defenseman Letang having best season in new system
- Penguins notebook: Crosby to miss 2 games as precautionary measure
- Penguins’ Maatta to seek second opinion for shoulder
- Penguins notebook: Johnston stands by decision on Crosby
- Penguins player might have exposed Children’s Hospital patients to mumps
- Mumps confirmed for Penguins’ Bennett; team intern also affected