Penguins notebook: Jokinen returns to ice after missing 1 contest
Though injuries prevented four regulars from playing Sunday night at Colorado, winger Jussi Jokinen returned after missing his only game at Minnesota on Saturday night.
Jokinen centered the Penguins' top line with Beau Bennett and James Neal working as his wingers.
The Penguins played without their top three centers: Sidney Crosby (upper body injury), Evgeni Malkin and Marcel Goc (feet).
• The never-ending injury saga — the Penguins passed 500 man-games lost Sunday — forced an AHL recall for a second time in three days. Forward Adam Payerl was promoted from Wilkes-Barre/Scranton. He never had played an NHL game before dressing for the Penguins against Colorado and playing on the fourth line. Andrew Ebbett, who was recalled from the AHL on Friday, worked as the third-line center against Colorado.
• With Brooks Orpik and Olli Maatta injured, defenseman Simon Despres played for a second straight game. He had served as a healthy scratch in three consecutive contests, and four of five, before returning to the lineup Saturday at Minnesota.
• The Penguins' next road game will come in the postseason. Their final three regular-season games are at Consol Energy Center, starting with a potential Round 1 preview against Detroit on Wednesday night. That contest is an 8 p.m. start.
• Select tickets for Games 1 and 2 of the Penguins' first-round Stanley Cup playoff series go on sale at 10 a.m. Monday. Fans are encouraged to purchase at ticketmaster.com. However, tickets also can be purchased by calling 1-800-745-3000.
• Pittsburgh will host the Cup on Monday. A one-day unveiling of the Cup is scheduled for 8:15 a.m. at the headquarters of a temporary Canadian consulate at 623 Smithfield St. “Pop-up! Canada” is a five-day event that will feature Canadian business/political leaders meeting with regional counterparts.
— Rob Rossi
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penguins continue to thrive, despite spate of ailments
- With 3 more players possibly affected, Pens’ mumps fight escalates
- Penguins notebook: Kunitz tests foot by skating during practice
- Penguins defenseman Letang having best season in new system
- Penguins notebook: Crosby to miss 2 games as precautionary measure
- ‘Rash of sickness’ hits Crosby, Penguins
- Penguins’ Maatta to seek second opinion for shoulder
- Penguins notebook: Johnston stands by decision on Crosby
- Penguins player might have exposed Children’s Hospital patients to mumps
- Mumps confirmed for Penguins’ Bennett; team intern also affected