Rutherford's hire as Pens GM brings out Internet's best, worst
Leave it to the hiring of a 65-year-old man to turn the Internet upside down.
The Penguins' announcement Friday that Jim Rutherford will succeed Ray Shero as general manager set off a fire storm of calamity on Twitter and Wikipedia.
For a brief time, Rutherford's middle name, according to his Wikipedia page, was listed as “Gregory Polanco,” a not-so-subtle nod to the Pirates' right fielder of the future.
The Ontario native's middle name, of course, is not Gregory Polanco, and the page eventually was changed.
Penguins fan Phil Jay (@PhilJayAyeEn) had one of the funniest tweets, referencing the number of two-part questions thrown at Rutherford during a news conference that lasted more than 27 minutes.
Rutherford neglected several times to answer both halves, though that hardly puts him in unique company among coaches.
“Pens got a senior citizen discount on this guy,” Jay tweeted. “He can't even respond to two part questions. #FIRERUTHERFORD.”
Phil Lee, a Pittsburgh fan from Worksop, England, chimed in with another joke.
“Well, Jim is almost as bald as Pierre.” Lee wrote on Twitter, referencing NBC analyst and fellow GM candidate Pierre McGuire.
Lee later turned compassionate with regard to former coach Dan Bylsma.
“Thanks for the memories, Dan, sincerely,” Lee tweeted.
Josh Bagiackas (@geministorm21) praised the moves and later offered a suggestion for Rutherford's first hire.
“I hope rutherford hires @RealRocket22 (former Penguin Rick Tocchet) as the next head coach,” Bagiackas tweeted.
It didn't take long for Rutherford to take to social media. By mid-afternoon, his Twitter account (@PenguinsGMJR) reflected his new job, and he tweeted a picture of a small boy holding a Penguin.
Above it read, “My family & I are thrilled to be a part of the @penguins. It's a great city w/awesome fans — appreciate the support!”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Starkey: What are Penguins, Pirates up to?
- Lapierre eager to make mark with Penguins
- For Penguins coach Johnston, it’s a matter of substance over style
- Penguins notebook: Johnston pleased with Downie’s all-around play
- Capitals dominate overmatched Penguins in win at Verizon Center
- Penguins notebook: Crosby understands NHL’s reasoning for ban
- Crosby banned from Jets game because he missed All-Star Game
- Penguins get physical, trade Goc for Blues’ Lapierre
- Penguins’ Fleury surrenders 7 goals in 1 period of NHL All-Star Game loss
- No cross-checking here: Penguins misspell ‘Sidney’
- Letang produces 5 assists in return as Penguins defeat Jets, 5-3