Looking back on former Penguins GM Shero's drafts
Perceived poor drafting was one reason given by Penguins ownership for dismissing former general manager Ray Shero. A look into what Shero's eight drafts (2006-13) produced:
• Prospects drafted: 50
• Drafted prospects by position: defensemen (20), wingers (13), centers (11), goalies (6)
• Picks traded: 13
• Drafted prospects traded: 5
• First-round picks/drafted players traded: 4
• Most picks: 9 (2012)
• Fewest picks: 4 (2008)
• Still with Penguins/in system: 27
• Games played for Penguins: 840
• Goals scored by wingers: 7*
* — Excludes goals scored by centers Jordan Staal and Dustin Jeffrey when they played as wingers
The 11 prospects from the 2006-13 NHL Entry Draft classes who played for the Penguins:
Player (position) Pick Games Stats
Jordan Staal (center) 2006, RD 1 431 120 goals, 128 assists
Dustin Jeffrey (center) 2007, RD 6 100 15 goals, 13 assists
Simon Despres (defense) 2009, RD 1 85 3 goals, 13 assists
Olli Maatta (defense) 2012, RD 1 78 9 goals, 20 assists
Robert Bortuzzo (defense) 2007, RD 3 75 2 goals, 12 assists
Beau Bennett (winger) 2010, RD 1 47 6 goals, 15 assists
Brian Strait (defense) 2006, RD 3 12 0 goals, 1 assist
Luca Caputi (winger) 2007, RD 4 5 1 goal, 0 assists
Philip Samuelsson (defense) 2009, RD 2 5 0 goals, 0 assists
Carl Sneep (defense) 2006, RD 2 1 0 goals, 1 assist
Alexander Pechurskiy (goalie) 2008, RD 5 1 0-0-0, 1.69 GAA
Return on investments
Notable players acquired by the Penguins for packages that included picks from the 2006-13 NHL Entry Drafts:
• Wingers Marian Hossa and Pascal Dupuis (2008)
Prospects/pick surrendered: center Angelo Esposito, 2009 Round 1
• Defenseman Hal Gill (2008)
Picks surrendered: 2008 Round 2, 2009 Round 5
Hossa left via free agency after contributing 12 goals and 26 points to the Penguins' 2008 Stanley Cup Final run. Dupuis and Gill remained as regulars — and penalty-kill staples — for the Penguins' Cup club in 2009.
• Winger Bill Guerin (2009)
Pick surrendered: 2009 Round 3
Guerin was the Penguins' third-leading scorer with 15 points during that 2009 championship postseason.
• Jarome Iginla (2013)
Prospects/pick surrendered: Wingers Kenny Agostino and Ben Hanowski, 2013 Round 1
Iginla produced 12 points, but only four goals, on the Penguins' run to the conference final.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Starkey: Penguins not mortgaging future
- Penguins GM Rutherford not counting on Dupuis’ return
- Penguins acquire defensemen Lovejoy, Cole in deadline deals
- Rangers up ante in Metropolitan Division with trade acquisitions
- Penguins notebook: ‘Skill practice’ part of optional workout
- Penguins notebook: Pouliot dazzles in victory over Blue Jackets
- Under Rutherford, it’s been a sizeable shakeup for Penguins
- Power play shines in Penguins’ home victory over Blue Jackets
- Winnik impresses Penguins in first workout
- Penguins notebook: Shootouts becoming a concern
- Penguins GM: Team needs, will keep Martin for Stanley Cup run