Defenseman Ehrhoff excited about opportunity with Penguins
Defenseman Christian Ehrhoff knows all about playoff disappointments, having spent most of his career with Vancouver and San Jose.
He wants to win a Stanley Cup and said he believes the Penguins provide him with the best opportunity.
That's why he said he signed a one-year, $4 million deal with the Penguins even though other teams were prepared to offer him multiyear contracts.
“I thought Pittsburgh was the best fit for me,” said Ehrhoff, who played in Vancouver's Game 7 loss in the 2011 Stanley Cup Final against Boston. Ehrhoff said he isn't necessarily interested in playing elsewhere after his deal expires.
“I keep the option to re-sign when it hopefully works out well,” he said. “We'll see what happens.”
Ehrhoff, 31, recently had his contract bought out by the Buffalo Sabres.
“I was really, really surprised by the news,” said Ehrhoff, who expected to be traded following three disappointing campaigns in Buffalo.
The Sabres are in a rebuilding phase.
Ehrhoff said the buyout doesn't provide extra motivation. Winning a championship is what drives him.
“The Penguins have a great lineup,” said Ehrhoff, who believes his offensive-minded style will mesh nicely with Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin. “Pittsburgh is one of the teams always mentioned when you talk about teams that can win the Cup. That's why I signed here.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Downie, Farnham bringing a much-needed edge to the Penguins
- Ex-Penguins defenseman Niskanen still miffed by coaches’ firings
- Penguins notebook: Players back team doctors in mumps aftermath
- Penguins notebook: Memorable night for Pouliot, Trocheck
- Minor league report: Other prospects on Penguins’ radar
- Penguins continue to thrive, despite spate of ailments
- With 3 more players possibly affected, Pens’ mumps fight escalates
- Pouliot scores in NHL debut as Penguins tame Panthers
- Mumps confirmed for Penguins’ Bennett; team intern also affected
- Penguins notebook: Kunitz tests foot by skating during practice
- Penguins star Crosby talks about his experience with mumps