Fleury solid in Penguins' preseason finale
DETROIT — Maybe returning to the building of his greatest triumph was just what Marc-Andre Fleury needed. Of course, it didn't hurt that most of Detroit's stars didn't play.
Nonetheless, the Penguins' goalie had his best performance of a shaky preseason as the Penguins handled a depleted Red Wings lineup at Joe Louis Arena, 5-1.
The Penguins got two goals from Chris Kunitz and one each from Craig Adams, Jussi Jokinen and Pascal Dupuis.
A misplay by Fleury led to Drew Miller's goal, but he was otherwise strong. He will see plenty of action when the regular season begins; backup goalie Tomas Vokoun won't be ready to start the season Oct. 3 as he recovers from surgery to dissolve a blood clot.
The Penguins finished the preseason 3-2-1.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Former Titans kicker Bironas killed in accident
- Pirates find a bridge at end of baseball world in Holdzkom
- Pirates’ 5-game winning streak ends with 1-0 loss to Brewers
- More companies embrace exchanges to curb health care costs
- Gas industry remedies ‘brain drain’ in Western Pennsylvania
- Penguins notebook: Crosby sits, could be out ‘couple days’
- Starkey: Can Steelers’ Mitchell find Carolina cure?
- Penguins’ Rutherford hopes to raise Cup again
- Hill District leaders irked as Penguins submit former Civic Arena site plan to city
- Paying tuition a challenge as costs skyrocket and aid varies
- Job prospects drawing workers to Western Pennsylvania