Fleury solid in Penguins' preseason finale
DETROIT — Maybe returning to the building of his greatest triumph was just what Marc-Andre Fleury needed. Of course, it didn't hurt that most of Detroit's stars didn't play.
Nonetheless, the Penguins' goalie had his best performance of a shaky preseason as the Penguins handled a depleted Red Wings lineup at Joe Louis Arena, 5-1.
The Penguins got two goals from Chris Kunitz and one each from Craig Adams, Jussi Jokinen and Pascal Dupuis.
A misplay by Fleury led to Drew Miller's goal, but he was otherwise strong. He will see plenty of action when the regular season begins; backup goalie Tomas Vokoun won't be ready to start the season Oct. 3 as he recovers from surgery to dissolve a blood clot.
The Penguins finished the preseason 3-2-1.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers trying to get missing defensive pieces on field
- Cole struggles as Brewers continue Miller mastery over Pirates
- In reworking contract, Steelers WR Brown gets hefty pay raise
- Wilmerding targeted for mobile farmers market
- Western Pa. played role, was transformed by victory in World War II
- Pirates notebook: 6 September call-ups include first-timer Diaz
- Steelers running back eager to prove he can help bridge gap to Bell
- 22-month-old boy shot, killed in North Side; stepfather charged
- Allegheny County CYF worker arrest on child pornography charges
- Steelers’ Tomlin disappointed by Bryant suspension
- No bitter brew for Mercer over reduced playing time after injury