Pirates add old acquaintance of Hurdle to staff
Clint Hurdle and Rick Sofield first met in the summer 1976, less than a year after they were drafted four spots apart in the first round of baseball's amateur draft.
"We both were playing in the (Single-A) Midwest League, and we hit it off immediately," Sofield said. "We had a lot in common — a couple of first-round picks, trying to meet everyone's big expectations."
By the end of the decade, both were in the majors — Hurdle with the Kansas City Royals, Sofield with the Minnesota Twins. After their playing careers ended, they remained close friends and worked together for a while as coaches in the Colorado Rockies' organization and at The Baseball Factory, a development camp for high school and youth league players.
So, when Hurdle called Sofield recently and offered him a job with the Pirates, Sofield was quick to accept.
"This is a great fit," said Sofield, 54, who also has worked with Pirates general manager Neal Huntington, assistant GM Kyle Stark, Triple-A Indianapolis manager Dean Treanor and pitching coordinator Jim Benedict. "I'm excited to get to work with those guys again."
Sofield's duties haven't yet been specified. He said he will be working in the minor leagues, perhaps as a manager or hitting coach.
For the past three years, Sofield coached at South Carolina Beaufort. He also worked for 12 years as a minor league coach, including a stint as the Pirates' minor league field coordinator in 2002.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: Liriano no ace, but he’s Bucs’ key
- Pirates notebook: Huntington staying patient as trade deadline approaches
- Tuesday’s scouting report: Dodgers at Pirates
- Pirates notebook: Polanco, Puig held out of series opener
- Dodgers rough up rusty starter Volquez, knock off Pirates at PNC Park
- Pirates notebook: Liriano looking forward to fresh start
- Pirates minor league notebook: Streaking Ramirez surpasses Marte’s mark
- Pirates complete sweep of Rockies with comeback win at PNC
- Frustrated Pirates prospect Lambo striving to get back to majors
- Biertempfel: One man’s cause to canonize Roberto Clemente
- Cutch or Tulo: Who’s the better MVP candidate?