Pirates add old acquaintance of Hurdle to staff
Clint Hurdle and Rick Sofield first met in the summer 1976, less than a year after they were drafted four spots apart in the first round of baseball's amateur draft.
"We both were playing in the (Single-A) Midwest League, and we hit it off immediately," Sofield said. "We had a lot in common — a couple of first-round picks, trying to meet everyone's big expectations."
By the end of the decade, both were in the majors — Hurdle with the Kansas City Royals, Sofield with the Minnesota Twins. After their playing careers ended, they remained close friends and worked together for a while as coaches in the Colorado Rockies' organization and at The Baseball Factory, a development camp for high school and youth league players.
So, when Hurdle called Sofield recently and offered him a job with the Pirates, Sofield was quick to accept.
"This is a great fit," said Sofield, 54, who also has worked with Pirates general manager Neal Huntington, assistant GM Kyle Stark, Triple-A Indianapolis manager Dean Treanor and pitching coordinator Jim Benedict. "I'm excited to get to work with those guys again."
Sofield's duties haven't yet been specified. He said he will be working in the minor leagues, perhaps as a manager or hitting coach.
For the past three years, Sofield coached at South Carolina Beaufort. He also worked for 12 years as a minor league coach, including a stint as the Pirates' minor league field coordinator in 2002.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates pitcher Locke fighting for 5th spot in starting rotation
- Pirates notebook: Morton lacks efficiency in spring training debut
- Rossi: Kang would benefit from less attention
- Spring training breakdown: Yankees 2, Pirates 1
- Pirates look to put more pressure on opposition with better baserunning
- Pirates notebook: Tabata rediscovering his power
- Pirates starting pitcher Worley is in right place, right time with team
- Pirates notebook: Sadler gets first Grapefruit start
- Pirates notebook: Hart ‘down a few days’ after cutting foot
- Blue Jays’ Martin has ‘nothing but praise’ for former Pirates teammates
- Surgeon to examine Pirates’ Cumpton after pitcher experienced elbow discomfort