Pitcher Alderson gets call up to Triple-A
By Rob Biertempfel
Published: Friday, April 27, 2012, 12:30 a.m.
Updated: Monday, April 30, 2012
Right-hander TIM ALDERSON was promoted to Triple-A Indianapolis on April 19 after tossing seven scoreless innings and notching one save at Double-A Altoona. Alderson's fastball velocity has rebounded a bit from last year, up to between 90 and 93 mph. He also performed well in a handful of late-game outings with the Pirates during spring training.
After putting up a 54.00 ERA in his first two outings at Low-A West Virginia, STETSON ALLIE was demoted to short-season State College. The Spikes have not yet begun their season, which will give the former second-round pick time to work on his command. Allie, 21, has tossed just two-thirds of an inning and allowed four runs on one hit and eight walks. He has hit one batter and thrown three wild pitches. “For about a year now, he's had some struggles,” GM Neal Huntington said. “We're working through some issues with him. But you have to remember that he'd be a sophomore in college right now (if he wasn't drafted). We've got plenty of time. We still love the arm.”
— Rob Biertempfel
- Pirates notebook: Penguins jerseys in fashion for road trip
- Snider’s grand slam lifts Pirates over Cubs
- Improved depth could drive Pirates’ fortunes deep into season
- Pirates notebook: NL Central not so soft after all
- Pirates notebook: McCutchen scratched with soreness in right knee
- McCutchen homer in 12th gives Pirates rare victory vs. Brewers
- Former Pirates prospect Grossman now starting in center for Houston
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.