Pirates recall Jordy Mercer, send Navarro to Indianapolis
The Pirates have recalled infielder Jordy Mercer from Triple-A Indianapolis and optioned infielder Yamaico Navarro to Indy.
Mercer, 25, a third-round pick in 2008 with no previous major league experience, was eighth in the International League in hitting, at .303, with 11 doubles, three home runs and 22 RBI in 47 games.
He was hitting .358 in May, and had played 28 games at shortstop and 10 each at second base and third base.
Navarro, 24, who had played second base, third base and both corner outfield spots, was hitting .178 (8 for 45) with one home run and four RBI in 25 games, including 10 starts.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Alvarez latest in Pirates’ revolving door at first base
- Pirates pitchers finding success with expanded strike zone
- Pirates notebook: Polanco’s power outburst a matter of timing
- Starting 9: As franchise values soar, do owners hold or sell?
- Pirates notebook: Locke makes bid for final rotation spot, Tabata cut
- Reliever Caminero’s chances of making Pirates’ roster heating up
- MLB commissioner: Pirates’ success starts in the front office
- Spring training breakdown: Pirates 8, Blue Jays 3
- Pirates’ Harrison working to use 2014 success as building block
- About face: Pirates’ Burnett now digging the shifts
- Pirates notebook: Morton’s struggles continue during rough outing versus Astros