Pirates recall Jordy Mercer, send Navarro to Indianapolis
The Pirates have recalled infielder Jordy Mercer from Triple-A Indianapolis and optioned infielder Yamaico Navarro to Indy.
Mercer, 25, a third-round pick in 2008 with no previous major league experience, was eighth in the International League in hitting, at .303, with 11 doubles, three home runs and 22 RBI in 47 games.
He was hitting .358 in May, and had played 28 games at shortstop and 10 each at second base and third base.
Navarro, 24, who had played second base, third base and both corner outfield spots, was hitting .178 (8 for 45) with one home run and four RBI in 25 games, including 10 starts.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- No certainty for Pirates’ call-up veterans
- Rossi: Continuing legend of Pirate Ray
- Pirates notebook: Burnett encouraged by extended simulated game
- Pirates notebook: Hurdle’s faith in Polanco pays off
- Biertempfel: Pittsburgh native faced quick learning curve as Marlins GM
- Patience serves as virtue amid prospect Glasnow’s quest for majors
- Strong-armed outfielder Garcia growing into all-around threat
- Starting 9: Pirates place renewed emphasis on nabbing base-stealers
- Happ’s strong start, Ramirez’s homer pace Pirates past Rockies
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Rockies, Aug. 30, 2015
- Pirates notebook: Catcher Cervelli among ejection leaders