Pirates recall Jordy Mercer, send Navarro to Indianapolis
The Pirates have recalled infielder Jordy Mercer from Triple-A Indianapolis and optioned infielder Yamaico Navarro to Indy.
Mercer, 25, a third-round pick in 2008 with no previous major league experience, was eighth in the International League in hitting, at .303, with 11 doubles, three home runs and 22 RBI in 47 games.
He was hitting .358 in May, and had played 28 games at shortstop and 10 each at second base and third base.
Navarro, 24, who had played second base, third base and both corner outfield spots, was hitting .178 (8 for 45) with one home run and four RBI in 25 games, including 10 starts.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Ex-Pirate Tekulve: PNC Park reception ‘unbelievable’
- Pirates notebook: Nutting says team may ‘stretch’ for Martin
- Pirates analyst Kent Tekulve recovering after heart transplant
- Mercer’s improved defense at shortstop gives Pirates a boost
- Pirates notebook: Martin feels ‘pretty good,’ will start vs. Giants
- Volquez latest rehabbed arm to get ball on big stage for Pirates
- Rossi: Pirates plan to carry Hurdle deep into playoffs
- Pirates notebook: GM Huntington says team will stretch payroll to retain Martin
- Inside the decision: Pirates chose their own adventure
- Scouting report: Giants at Pirates
- Tekulve to throw out 1st pitch of Pirates’ postseason