Pirates recall Jordy Mercer, send Navarro to Indianapolis
The Pirates have recalled infielder Jordy Mercer from Triple-A Indianapolis and optioned infielder Yamaico Navarro to Indy.
Mercer, 25, a third-round pick in 2008 with no previous major league experience, was eighth in the International League in hitting, at .303, with 11 doubles, three home runs and 22 RBI in 47 games.
He was hitting .358 in May, and had played 28 games at shortstop and 10 each at second base and third base.
Navarro, 24, who had played second base, third base and both corner outfield spots, was hitting .178 (8 for 45) with one home run and four RBI in 25 games, including 10 starts.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Reds solve Cole, stave off Pirates’ 9th-inning rally
- Pirates notebook: New acquisition Happ more than happy to fill spot in rotation
- Starting 9: Examining Pirates’ deadline decisions
- Biertempfel: Players, MLB agree logic of season’s setup needs to be examined
- Pirates farmhand Suchy learns limits of his size, strength
- Gameday: Pirates at Reds, Aug. 2, 2015
- Marte’s 2 fine defensive plays rescue Pirates in victory over Reds
- Hurdle: Soria likely to assume setup role with Watson
- Pirates trade for Dodgers 1B/OF Morse, Mariners LHP Happ
- Pirates place Burnett on 15-day disabled list
- Gameday: Pirates at Cincinnati, Aug. 1, 2015