Pirates set to sign compensation-round pick Friday
BALTIMORE — Outfielder Barrett Barnes, the compensation-round pick whom the Pirates drafted 45th overall last week, is slated to be in Pittsburgh today to have a physical and then sign for a $1 million bonus. His bonus is roughly $136,000 below the slot amount.
On Thursday, the Pirates signed their third-round pick, right-hander Jon Sandfort. Baseball America reported that he received a bonus of $462,900, the full slot amount. He was assigned to the rookie-level Gulf Coast League team in Bradenton, Fla.
The Pirates have signed seven of their top 11 picks, and general manager Neal Huntington is not surprised there have been a lot of quick signings under the new draft rules. Huntington said he expected top pick Mark Appel and 15th-rounder Jonathan Youngblood would be “challenging” to sign.
Huntington said the Pirates still have cash to spend on Appel, who's slotted for a $2.9 million bonus as the eighth pick.
“With (picks) 1 through 10, every dollar you go over (slot), you've got to create a dollar somewhere else,” he said. “We've been able to create some dollars, so it isn't taking away from the allotted $2.9 million that's sitting there for (Appel). If we start chipping away at some guys beyond the 10th round for more than $100,000, then we do start losing money we've got available (for Appel). It's all part of the exercise.”
• Huntington said first baseman Jeff Clement, who's batting .294 with seven homers for Triple-A Indianapolis, is bothered by mild inflammation in his surgically repaired knee. “It's going to be something he has off and on for the rest of his playing career,” Huntington said.
• Reliever Daniel McCutchen (strained oblique) began a rehab assignment with High-A Bradenton last night. Against Fort Myers, he allowed a double and posted one strikeout in two scoreless innings.
• At 7 p.m. Monday, reliever Jason Grilli will take questions during a one-hour “town hall meeting” at concert-oh.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Mercer’s improved defense at shortstop gives Pirates a boost
- 20 improbable Pirates wins in 2014
- It’s official: Volquez to start Wednesday for Pirates
- Inside the decision: Pirates chose their own adventure
- Rossi: No matter outcome, Pirates arrive
- Pirates notebook: Reds deny intent after Cueto plunks McCutchen
- Friday’s scouting report: Pirates at Reds
- Pitcher Cueto, Reds dash Pirates’ division title hopes in finale
- Pirates set sights on making postseason play ‘an every-year deal’
- Rossi: The series that will define these Pirates
- Starkey: Pirates know best