Pirates set to sign compensation-round pick Friday
By Rob Biertempfel
Published: Thursday, June 14, 2012, 7:50 p.m.
Updated: Friday, June 15, 2012
BALTIMORE — Outfielder Barrett Barnes, the compensation-round pick whom the Pirates drafted 45th overall last week, is slated to be in Pittsburgh today to have a physical and then sign for a $1 million bonus. His bonus is roughly $136,000 below the slot amount.
On Thursday, the Pirates signed their third-round pick, right-hander Jon Sandfort. Baseball America reported that he received a bonus of $462,900, the full slot amount. He was assigned to the rookie-level Gulf Coast League team in Bradenton, Fla.
The Pirates have signed seven of their top 11 picks, and general manager Neal Huntington is not surprised there have been a lot of quick signings under the new draft rules. Huntington said he expected top pick Mark Appel and 15th-rounder Jonathan Youngblood would be “challenging” to sign.
Huntington said the Pirates still have cash to spend on Appel, who's slotted for a $2.9 million bonus as the eighth pick.
“With (picks) 1 through 10, every dollar you go over (slot), you've got to create a dollar somewhere else,” he said. “We've been able to create some dollars, so it isn't taking away from the allotted $2.9 million that's sitting there for (Appel). If we start chipping away at some guys beyond the 10th round for more than $100,000, then we do start losing money we've got available (for Appel). It's all part of the exercise.”
• Huntington said first baseman Jeff Clement, who's batting .294 with seven homers for Triple-A Indianapolis, is bothered by mild inflammation in his surgically repaired knee. “It's going to be something he has off and on for the rest of his playing career,” Huntington said.
• Reliever Daniel McCutchen (strained oblique) began a rehab assignment with High-A Bradenton last night. Against Fort Myers, he allowed a double and posted one strikeout in two scoreless innings.
• At 7 p.m. Monday, reliever Jason Grilli will take questions during a one-hour “town hall meeting” at concert-oh.com.
- Improved depth could drive Pirates’ fortunes deep into season
- Pirates notebook: McCutchen scratched with soreness in right knee
- Former Pirates prospect Grossman now starting in center for Houston
- Pirates minor league notebook: Former 5th-round pick Glasnow shining in rotation
- Pirates notebook: Botched popup shocks Martin
- Pirates get the bats going, knock off Brewers to take 4-game series
- McCutchen homer in 12th gives Pirates rare victory vs. Brewers
- Pirates notebook: Injuries can leave roster in limbo
- Biertempfel: Pirates lefty Locke settles into rotation
- Rodriguez, Walker push Pirates past Brewers
- Pirates notebook: Alvarez sits against righty Gallardo
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.