Pirates file complaint concerning phantom tag
The Pirates have filed a complaint with Major League Baseball about a call in Sunday's game against the Cincinnati Reds. The move is pretty much only a formality; no discipline likely would be meted out, even if MLB agrees the Pirates have a legitimate gripe.
In the eighth inning, third base umpire Brian Gorman ruled Starling Marte was out trying to advance to third on an errant pickoff attempt. Replays showed Todd Frazier's swipe tag missed Marte, and manager Clint Hurdle left the dugout to briefly protest the call.
“I said, ‘That just didn't look right' and (Gorman) said, ‘He got him,' ” Hurdle said Monday. “At that point, I didn't want to push him because I think he might've had a quick ejection button with me again.”
Gorman ejected Hurdle on Saturday for arguing when both dugouts were warned after Josh Harrison was hit by a pitch in the second inning.
Gorman's gaffe Sunday potentially cost the Pirates a run in what at the time was a two-run game. The Pirates scored twice in the ninth to win, 6-2.
“It was a tough point in the game ... but you take the course of action you need to take,” Hurdle said. “There's a formal way to go about doing it and we're in that process now. You file your report and where it goes from there, I'm not always sure. But that's really none of my business.”
MLB director of umpiring Randy Marsh was at Sunday's game in Cincinnati. One of Marsh's duties is to review close calls and plays and address any concerns with the umpiring crew.
• In the ninth inning Friday against the Reds, Andrew McCutchen was hit by a pitch. The incident stoked some ire in the Pirates' clubhouse, but they did not retaliate in the series. “We've had plenty of internal discussion and we're where we need to be with it,” Hurdle said. “Sometimes, accidents happen. Sometimes, coincidences happen. Sometimes, things happen that make you go ‘huh?' You figure it out as best you can and prepare for the next time you're going to see them. We're well aware of what we need to do the next time we face those guys.” The Pirates face the Reds on Sept. 10-12 in Cincinnati and Sept. 28-30 at PNC Park.
• Reliever Juan Cruz (shoulder) was scheduled to toss one inning Monday to begin his rehab assignment with Double-A Altoona. Cruz has been on the DL since July 18.
— Rob Biertempfel
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Pirates show depth in earning victory over Rockies; Polanco has big night
- Pirates notebook: Catcher Cervelli among ejection leaders
- Pirates notebook: Hurdle mulling rotation options
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Rockies, Aug. 29, 2015
- Pirates turn nifty double play in 9th, edge Marlins
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Rockies, Aug. 28, 2015
- Pirates notebook: Burnett’s simulated game goes well
- Pirates notebook: Former 1st-round pick Tucker has shoulder surgery
- Gameday: Pirates at Marlins, Aug. 27, 2015