Pirates notebook: Walker's return will depend on pain tolerance
Pirates second baseman Neil Walker said hand specialist Dr. Tom Hughes of Allegheny General Hospital was pleased with how the swelling in his left pinky finger had decreased, and his return will depend on his pain tolerance.
The best news for the Pirates was that he will avoid a trip to the disabled list, as Walker suspected would be the case when he dislocated the finger Wednesday.
“There was nothing that said I'd be restricted,” Walker said. “The biggest hurdle is going to be swinging a bat — and more from swinging left-handed because it's the bottom hand. I've grabbed the bat a few times today but certainly haven't swung at 90-mile-per-hour pitches. So it's going to go on how it's feeling.”
• Pirates pitcher A.J. Burnett had words for Dodgers shortstopHanley Ramirez on Thursday after Ramirez tossed his bat and was arguing a strikeout in the sixth inning. Ramirez homered in his previous at-bat and made a gesture like eyeglasses as he was running. “I thought he did something when he crossed second base,” Burnett said. “I mean, if you're going to hit a homer, act like you've hit one before.”
• Pirates third baseman Pedro Alvarez went 3 for 4 with a single, double and his first home run since July 22 on Thursday. “Pedro, I think, doesn't need to be relaxed and calm (at the plate),” said Pirates manager Clint Hurdle, who worked with Alvarez on Wednesday. “I think he needs to be firm, needs to be ready. His first move sets up his whole swing. When he strikes that first move, everything falls into place.”
• The Pirates placed reliever Chad Qualls on the three-day bereavement list because of an illness in the family and recalled reliever Jared Hughes from Triple-A Indianapolis. They also recalled infielder/outfielder Yamaico Navarro and optioned Jeff Locke to Indianapolis, where he will return to the starting rotation.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Pirates trade for Dodgers 1B/OF Morse, Mariners LHP Happ
- Pirates place Burnett on 15-day disabled list
- Hurdle: Soria likely to assume setup role with Watson
- Gameday: Pirates at Cincinnati, Aug. 1, 2015
- Pirates bolster bullpen by trading for former closer Soria
- Pirates notebook: Blanton introduced; Worley designated for assignment
- Pirates’ Burnett endures another poor start in blowout loss to Reds
- Pirates acquire pitcher Blanton from Royals for cash
- Gameday: Pirates at Reds, July 31, 2015
- Pirates notebook: Melancon bails out Watson with extended outing
- Gameday: Pirates at Reds, July 30, 2015