Pirates notebook: Pirates shuffle players, set postseason roster
By The Tribune-Review
Published: Friday, Aug. 31, 2012, 7:34 p.m.
MILWAUKEE — Alex Presley and Kyle McPherson were called up from Triple-A Indianapolis, as the Pirates set their postseason roster before the deadline Friday.
“We wanted to make sure we got them in place,” manager Clint Hurdle said.
McPherson will work out of the bullpen, although Hurdle indicated McPherson might get a spot start before the season is over. When active rosters expand Saturday, the Pirates will announce who will replace recently released Erik Bedard in the rotation. That job could go to left-hander Jeff Locke, who is expected to be among the first wave of September callups.
Jeff Clement was outrighted to High-A Bradenton, and Chase d'Arnaud was optioned to Bradenton. Both will rejoin the team Monday in Pittsburgh, as Bradenton's season ends Sunday.
Major league active rosters can be expanded Saturday, meaning the Pirates can bring up anyone from the minors who's on their 40-man roster.
• Center fielder Andrew McCutchen was not in the starting lineup Friday for the first time since July 28. “He's been laying it all out there every night, and it seemed like a good time to piggyback with an off day to give him a 48-hour rest,” Hurdle said.
• Second baseman Neil Walker (lower back tightness) was out of the lineup for the fourth straight game and is not yet able to do any pregame baseball activities. Outfielder Starling Marte (strained oblique) took some light batting practice on the field Friday during early work. There is no timetable for either player to return to action. Marte is eligible to come off the disabled list Monday.
• Infielder Hector Luna was signed as a minor league free agent and assigned to Indy. Luna has played in parts of seven seasons in the majors, including 28 games this season with the Phillies.
— Rob Biertempfel
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates should exploit free-swinging Brewers
- Pirates notebook: Tabata OK’d to return to play
- Pirates notebook: Walker’s razor a right-handed swing solution
- Patience pays off as starting pitcher Volquez gets 1st win for Pirates
- Pirates notebook: Sore ankle doesn’t hinder McCutchen
- Breaking down Thursday’s Pirates-Brewers game
- Polanco off to red-hot start at Triple-A Indianapolis
- Pirates notebook: Gomez eyes ‘more aggressive’ style
- One-time Bucs pitching prospect now a promising power hitter
- Brewers stop Pirates, 3-2, for 8th straight win
- Pirates conclude wild suspended game with win, drop 2nd of series