Pirates notebook: Pirates shuffle players, set postseason roster
MILWAUKEE — Alex Presley and Kyle McPherson were called up from Triple-A Indianapolis, as the Pirates set their postseason roster before the deadline Friday.
“We wanted to make sure we got them in place,” manager Clint Hurdle said.
McPherson will work out of the bullpen, although Hurdle indicated McPherson might get a spot start before the season is over. When active rosters expand Saturday, the Pirates will announce who will replace recently released Erik Bedard in the rotation. That job could go to left-hander Jeff Locke, who is expected to be among the first wave of September callups.
Jeff Clement was outrighted to High-A Bradenton, and Chase d'Arnaud was optioned to Bradenton. Both will rejoin the team Monday in Pittsburgh, as Bradenton's season ends Sunday.
Major league active rosters can be expanded Saturday, meaning the Pirates can bring up anyone from the minors who's on their 40-man roster.
• Center fielder Andrew McCutchen was not in the starting lineup Friday for the first time since July 28. “He's been laying it all out there every night, and it seemed like a good time to piggyback with an off day to give him a 48-hour rest,” Hurdle said.
• Second baseman Neil Walker (lower back tightness) was out of the lineup for the fourth straight game and is not yet able to do any pregame baseball activities. Outfielder Starling Marte (strained oblique) took some light batting practice on the field Friday during early work. There is no timetable for either player to return to action. Marte is eligible to come off the disabled list Monday.
• Infielder Hector Luna was signed as a minor league free agent and assigned to Indy. Luna has played in parts of seven seasons in the majors, including 28 games this season with the Phillies.
— Rob Biertempfel
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Cole struggles as Brewers continue Miller mastery over Pirates
- Pirates notebook: 6 September call-ups include first-timer Diaz
- No bitter brew for Mercer over reduced playing time after injury
- Gameday: Pirates at Brewers, Sept. 2, 2015
- Two wild-card format hurting Pirates in short term
- Gameday: Pirates at Brewers, Sept. 1, 2015
- Rossi: Continuing legend of Pirate Ray
- No certainty for Pirates’ call-up veterans
- Pirates turn nifty double play in 9th, edge Marlins
- Pirates show depth in earning victory over Rockies; Polanco has big night
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Rockies, Aug. 29, 2015