Pirates notebook: Pirates shuffle players, set postseason roster
Published: Friday, August 31, 2012, 7:34 p.m.
Updated: Saturday, September 1, 2012
MILWAUKEE — Alex Presley and Kyle McPherson were called up from Triple-A Indianapolis, as the Pirates set their postseason roster before the deadline Friday.
“We wanted to make sure we got them in place,” manager Clint Hurdle said.
McPherson will work out of the bullpen, although Hurdle indicated McPherson might get a spot start before the season is over. When active rosters expand Saturday, the Pirates will announce who will replace recently released Erik Bedard in the rotation. That job could go to left-hander Jeff Locke, who is expected to be among the first wave of September callups.
Jeff Clement was outrighted to High-A Bradenton, and Chase d'Arnaud was optioned to Bradenton. Both will rejoin the team Monday in Pittsburgh, as Bradenton's season ends Sunday.
Major league active rosters can be expanded Saturday, meaning the Pirates can bring up anyone from the minors who's on their 40-man roster.
• Center fielder Andrew McCutchen was not in the starting lineup Friday for the first time since July 28. “He's been laying it all out there every night, and it seemed like a good time to piggyback with an off day to give him a 48-hour rest,” Hurdle said.
• Second baseman Neil Walker (lower back tightness) was out of the lineup for the fourth straight game and is not yet able to do any pregame baseball activities. Outfielder Starling Marte (strained oblique) took some light batting practice on the field Friday during early work. There is no timetable for either player to return to action. Marte is eligible to come off the disabled list Monday.
• Infielder Hector Luna was signed as a minor league free agent and assigned to Indy. Luna has played in parts of seven seasons in the majors, including 28 games this season with the Phillies.
— Rob Biertempfel
- Pirates notebook: NL Central not so soft after all
- Former Pirates prospect Grossman now starting in center for Houston
- Pirates notebook: Replay could catch players in a trap
- Pirates notebook: Alvarez sits against righty Gallardo
- Small adjustment key to Pirates pitcher Liriano’s return to form
- Pirates notebook: Injuries can leave roster in limbo
- Pirates get the bats going, knock off Brewers to take 4-game series
- Error in 9th allows Pirates to rally past Astros
- Pirates call up Tony Sanchez for ‘taxi squad’
- Stats corner: Marte, Pirates getting plunked at record pace
- McCutchen homer in 12th gives Pirates rare victory vs. Brewers
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.