Pirates notebook: Walker takes swings, feels close to returning
Second baseman Neil Walker missed his 10th consecutive game Friday with lower back tightness but said, after taking 30 right-handed swings for the first time, he feels like he's close to returning.
“The inflammation's pretty much all the way out of there, so that's the most important thing,” he said. “I was able to swing today, which was good. The moving up and down and left and right hasn't been an issue, so the biggest hurdle's been swinging.”
Walker said the problem is on the lower left side, so finishing the swing from that side will be the biggest issue over the next few days as he tests the torquing motion.
“I feel pretty confident that I'm going to recover well,” he said. “We'll see how my body reacts (Saturday).”
• Outfielder Starling Marte returned to the lineup, making his first start since Aug. 18 after a stint on the disabled list with a right oblique strain. Marte batted second behind Brock Holt. Manager Clint Hurdle made the decision based on what he's seen from Holt the past four games. “(Holt's) been playing at major league game speed,” Hurdle said. “Marte's going to catch up a little bit. I thought I'd slide him in that spot right in front of Andrew (McCutchen) and see if that's some benefit as well.”
• Outfielder Jose Tabata (left foot contusion) was scheduled to hit Friday then work moving around in the outfield. Hurdle said he anticipated having Tabata available off the bench.
• Pitcher Jeff Karstens (hip flexor) has been playing catch but has yet to throw a bullpen session. That should soon change, Hurdle said, but Karstens is likely to miss another start.
• Pitcher Chad Qualls (left toe irritation) threw a simulated game Friday and is on schedule to come off the disabled list Sunday.
— Karen Price
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates notebook: Bucs unlikely to make trade before deadline
- Rossi: Cole perfect pitcher to start pivotal series for Pirates
- Monday’s scouting report: Pirates at Cardinals
- Pirates’ Polanco runs into rookie wall
- RF Heisey, Reds avert sweep with a victory over Pirates at PNC Park
- Biertempfel: First base becoming new hot corner for Pirates
- Stats Corner: Corner men Marte, Snider deliver punch
- Sunday’s scouting report: Pirates vs. Reds
- Pirates minor league report: Bell concluding breakout season
- Pirates notebook: Morton status remains in limbo
- Pirates notebook: Lambo recalled to bolster bench