More players set to join Pirates from Indy
With their season in Triple-A complete, more players plus the coaching staff from Indianapolis will be joining the Pirates in Cincinnati, general manager Neal Huntington said Sunday.
Huntington didn't reveal names but said he wants to give manager Clint Hurdle “every opportunity in the world” to win each day.
“Whether it's a pinch runner, defender, left-handed pinch hitter, right-handed pinch hitter, length guys out of the bullpen or some matchup guys, we want to make sure we don't leave any stone unturned and give him as many weapons as we can,” Huntington said.
Also joining the Pirates will be Indy manager Dean Treanor, pitching coach Tom Filer and coach Jeff Branson. Huntington said they likely will stay with the club the rest of the year and alternate turns in the dugout.
• Chad Qualls was activated off the 15-day disabled list Sunday and struck out one in two-thirds of an inning.
• Neil Walker took left-handed swings off a tee and plans to take batting practice Monday in Cincinnati. He'll take part in a simulated game Tuesday with Jeff Karstens pitching. If all goes well, Walker could be available to pinch hit Wednesday.
• Huntington said Josh Bell's next time in a competitive setting will be spring training. The team's second-round pick in 2011 is recovering from surgery on a torn meniscus and is still experiencing swelling in his left knee. Although Bell is in the projected four-to-six month recovery window, Huntington said the organization is weighing rest versus another procedure that may help the swelling to abate.
— Karen Price
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates rout Cardinals to keep things interesting in NL Central
- Pirates reliever Liz new, improved
- Pirates notebook: Burnett continues to progress, amps up to 95-pitch simulated game
- Gameday: Pirates at Cardinals, September 5, 2015
- Young guns lead way into pivotal Pirates-Cardinals series
- Liriano struggles as Brewers complete sweep of Pirates
- Pirates notebook: McCutchen takes NL Player of the Month for 4th time
- Pirates, Marlins in talks to play 2016 game in Puerto Rico
- Pirates notebook: Delivery adjustment helps left-hander Happ
- Pirates notebook: Burnett encouraged by extended simulated game
- Two wild-card format hurting Pirates in short term