Pirates notebook: Hurdle doesn't regret pulling Rodriguez
CINCINNATI — The numbers were in the Pirates' favor in the seventh inning Monday, but the outcome worked better for the Cincinnati Reds.
With the Pirates leading, 3-1, the Reds had runners on first and second with two outs. With switch-hitter Dioner Navarro at the plate, manager Clint Hurdle replaced starter Wandy Rodriguez, who had been dominant up to that point, with right-handed reliever Jared Hughes.
“We wanted to flip a switch-hitter who's better right-handed than left-handed,” Hurdle said.
Navarro's career splits supported Hurdle's decision. Against left-handed pitchers, Navarro has a .259 batting average and a .744 on-base plus slugging percentage. Against right-handers, he hits .239 with a .633 OPS.
Navarro looped a two-run, game-tying double. The Reds went on to win, 4-3, in 14 innings. Despite pitching perhaps his best game of the season, Rodriguez wound up with a tough no-decision.
“I felt pretty good (Tuesday) and I think I could've finished that inning,” Rodriguez said. “I think I could've gotten him out. But (Hurdle) made his decision.”
After the game, Hurdle had no regrets.
“It's the second-worst feeling for a manager when you make that move and it doesn't work,” Hurdle said. “The worst one is when you leave the pitcher in and the guy hits a home run.”
• RHP Jeff Karstens (sore hip pointer) threw a 30-pitch warm-up and a 30-pitch simulated game Tuesday without problem. “It was good to be out there and be pain-free,” said Karstens, who used all his pitches. The session included a few plays when Karstens had to break off the mound to cover first base. At the end of the simulated game, Karstens threw five fastballs to Neil Walker, who batted left-handed to test his sore lower back. The Pirates have not yet determined when or if Karstens will return to the starting rotation.
• Because of the off day Thursday, LHP Jeff Locke's next start will be moved back one day to Sunday against the Chicago Cubs. Rodriguez will pitch Saturday on normal rest.
• Chris Leroux, Jared Hughes and Chris Resop were not available Tuesday out of the bullpen. All three relievers got extensive work Monday in the 14-inning game. Even though the game went extra-long, the Pirates still had a nearly full bullpen because of recent call-ups from the minors.
— Rob Biertempfel
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Pirates send Decker to Indy to clear roster space for Morse
- Pirates pitcher Burnett could return in 4 weeks
- 4 ejections, benches-clearing scrum mark Pirates’ win over Reds
- Starting 9: Examining Pirates’ deadline decisions
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Cubs, August 3, 2015
- Biertempfel: Players, MLB agree logic of season’s setup needs to be examined
- Pirates notebook: New acquisition Happ more than happy to fill spot in rotation
- Pirates farmhand Suchy learns limits of his size, strength
- Reds solve Cole, stave off Pirates’ 9th-inning rally
- Gameday: Pirates at Reds, Aug. 2, 2015
- Pirates trade for Dodgers 1B/OF Morse, Mariners LHP Happ