Pirates notebook: Rookie McPherson surprised to get critical start
Published: Tuesday, September 18, 2012, 7:53 p.m.
Updated: Friday, September 21, 2012
Right-hander Kyle McPherson is set to make his first start in the second game of the Pirates' brief homestand, a situation he never thought he'd find himself in at the beginning of the season.
“Starting the year off being injured and coming back from that, being in Double-A and getting some starts under my belt, at no point did I think I'd be in this position,” said the 24-year-old, who didn't make his first start until June 16 because of right shoulder inflammation. “Every player looks forward to it, but I was just focused on day-to-day and doing what I needed to do to succeed.”
McPherson, the Pirates' 2011 minor league pitcher of the year, went 3-6 with a 2.48 in 12 starts between Double-A and Triple-A and is 0-0 with a 1.54 ERA in seven major league appearances, all in relief this year.
“He's a power guy, and he can run his fastball arm-side as well as glove-side, he can snap the breaking ball and incorporate the changeup,” manager Clint Hurdle said. “I think this is a young man we think very highly of, and he has a pretty good opportunity in a very meaningful game.”
• The Pirates' flight home from Chicago touched down in Pittsburgh at 5:40 a.m. on Tuesday, and many of the players didn't get home until after 7 a.m. “That was a long delay, just throwing it out there because I've been through a few,” Hurdle said.
• Neil Walker was back in the starting lineup after getting the day off Monday. Walker, who missed 16 straight games, said his back was OK, but he was sore after two long games Saturday and Sunday. “It's really going to be day-to-day type stuff,” he said.
— Karen Price
- Pirates notebook: Bucs shut down injured Karstens
- Pirates’ road trip could define journey
- Pirates notebook: Morton could be back in early June
- Pirates waste strong Burnett start, fall again to Brewers at Miller Park
- Pirates notebook: Melancon relishes rare save opportunity
- Pirates notebook: Mercer likely to be sent back to Triple-A
- Pirates notebook: McCutchen scratched with soreness in right knee
- Pirates outfielder Snider certainly proving to be (big) hit
- Pirates notebook: Botched popup shocks Martin
- Pirates starters Locke, Wandy enjoying good fortune
- Pirates minor league notebook: Former 5th-round pick Glasnow shining in rotation
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.