Valley News Dispatch High School roundup
Riverview followed up a disheartening loss to West Shamokin with a relatively close contest against North Catholic, but still fell short, 16-0, on Saturday afternoon in Class A Eastern Conference action at Riverside Park in Oakmont.
Last week, West Shamokin shocked Riverview, 25-6, to snap a state-record 46-game losing streak.
For North Catholic (3-1, 3-1), sophomore running back P.J. Fulmore rushed for 150 yards and two touchdowns on 20 carries, and junior quarterback Ryan Kirby completed eight of 12 passes for 80 yards.
Junior quarterback Jason Anthony, who completed six of 15 attempts for 88 yards, and senior wide receiver Tim Wagner, who had two receptions for 44 yards, led Riverview (0-4, 0-4). The Raiders have been outscored, 81-14, and shut out twice this season.
Highlands 3, Burrell 0 — Two freshmen and a sophomore played big roles, as Highlands (7-2, 5-1) defeated Burrell (0-8, 0-6) in Section 2-AA. Freshman Kayla Beale scored twice, fellow ninth-grader Kara Bowser added another goal and sophomore goalkeeper Samantha Kovach made six saves.
Kiski Area 3, Connellsville 1 — Ryan Kanner, Matt Dziadosz and Dakota Lange scored for Kiski Area (6-1-1, 4-0-1) in a Section 1-AAA win over Connellsville (2-6-1, 0-5-1). Brandon Smail made three saves for Kiski.
Freeport won its annual tournament by beating Avonworth, 2-0, in the championship match.
Next Saturday, the Yellowjackets will compete in State College High School's 20-team Little Lion Invitational, which will feature some of the top teams in the state.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates rout Cardinals to keep things interesting in NL Central
- Pirates notebook: Burnett continues to progress, amps up to 95-pitch simulated game
- Pirates reliever Liz new, improved
- Gameday: Pirates at Cardinals, September 5, 2015
- Liriano struggles as Brewers complete sweep of Pirates
- Young guns lead way into pivotal Pirates-Cardinals series
- Pirates, Marlins in talks to play 2016 game in Puerto Rico
- Pirates notebook: McCutchen takes NL Player of the Month for 4th time
- Locke struggles again early, Pirates lose again in Milwaukee
- Pirates notebook: Delivery adjustment helps left-hander Happ
- Cole struggles as Brewers continue Miller mastery over Pirates