Valley News Dispatch High School roundup
Riverview followed up a disheartening loss to West Shamokin with a relatively close contest against North Catholic, but still fell short, 16-0, on Saturday afternoon in Class A Eastern Conference action at Riverside Park in Oakmont.
Last week, West Shamokin shocked Riverview, 25-6, to snap a state-record 46-game losing streak.
For North Catholic (3-1, 3-1), sophomore running back P.J. Fulmore rushed for 150 yards and two touchdowns on 20 carries, and junior quarterback Ryan Kirby completed eight of 12 passes for 80 yards.
Junior quarterback Jason Anthony, who completed six of 15 attempts for 88 yards, and senior wide receiver Tim Wagner, who had two receptions for 44 yards, led Riverview (0-4, 0-4). The Raiders have been outscored, 81-14, and shut out twice this season.
Highlands 3, Burrell 0 — Two freshmen and a sophomore played big roles, as Highlands (7-2, 5-1) defeated Burrell (0-8, 0-6) in Section 2-AA. Freshman Kayla Beale scored twice, fellow ninth-grader Kara Bowser added another goal and sophomore goalkeeper Samantha Kovach made six saves.
Kiski Area 3, Connellsville 1 — Ryan Kanner, Matt Dziadosz and Dakota Lange scored for Kiski Area (6-1-1, 4-0-1) in a Section 1-AAA win over Connellsville (2-6-1, 0-5-1). Brandon Smail made three saves for Kiski.
Freeport won its annual tournament by beating Avonworth, 2-0, in the championship match.
Next Saturday, the Yellowjackets will compete in State College High School's 20-team Little Lion Invitational, which will feature some of the top teams in the state.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: Buying trust is a must for Pirates
- Saturday’s scouting report: Pirates at Diamondbacks
- Pirates’ attempts to bolster roster at deadline a fruitless endeavor
- Pirates notebook: Marte to begin rehab stint at Triple-A Saturday
- Friday’s scouting report: Pirates at Diamondbacks
- Statistically speaking: Will Pirates be snake-bitten by sliders?
- Pirates inquire about Red Sox LHP Lester
- Pirates notebook: Trade rumors for Red Sox pitcher Lester still swirling
- Pirates think Mercer’s defense deserves more credit
- Pirates notebook: Cole to make rehab start at Indianapolis on Monday
- Thinking outside box slows pace of MLB games