MLB notebook: Giants' Cabrera off postseason roster
By Wire Reports
Published: Wednesday, Sept. 26, 2012, 8:14 p.m.
The San Francisco Giants have no plans to bring back suspended outfielder Melky Cabrera for the postseason if the club is still playing when he is eligible to return.
Manager Bruce Bochy said Tuesday that he and general manager Brian Sabean are meeting to finalize their 25-man roster for the best-of-five division series. Cabrera would be allowed to play in the NLCS if the Giants advance that far, but — at this stage, at least — they have no intention of adding him to the roster at any point in the postseason.
An announcement regarding Cabrera is expected before the NL West champions leave town after a three-game series against Arizona that began Tuesday night.
First, they would need to alert all the parties involved: Cabrera, Major League Baseball and the players' union. Cabrera can start working out at instructional league in Arizona 10 days before his suspension ends, so that factor weighs into the mix.
Cabrera, the All-Star Game MVP, is batting .346, the highest mark in the NL. He was suspended for 50 games Aug. 15 for a positive testosterone test.
On Friday, Cabrera asked to be removed from contention for the batting crown, saying he had no wish to win a tainted title.
Rangers' Darvish improves with rest
Yu Darvish was feeling much better a day after having to skip his scheduled start for the Texas Rangers because of neck stiffness.
Manager Ron Washington said Wednesday that Darvish, who played catch in the outfield before their game against Oakland, might even return to the mound before his next scheduled start for the AL West leaders.
Indians shut down RHP Jimenez
Cleveland Indians right-hander Ubaldo Jimenez won't pitch again this season because of a sprained right ankle. Jimenez was examined Monday in Cleveland after having some problems in his previous two starts. He was 9-17 with a 5.55 ERA.
Orioles place Wolf on DL; Hall recalled
The Baltimore Orioles placed left-handed pitcher Randy Wolf on the 60-day disabled list with a torn ligament in his left elbow.
Baltimore purchased Bill Hall's contract from Triple-A Norfolk. Hall, 32, batted .222 with a home run in seven games with the Orioles earlier this season.
Dodgers ex-owner back in court
The ex-wife of former Los Angeles Dodgers owner Frank McCourt wants to set aside the couple's divorce settlement, claiming he vastly understated the value of a team that sold earlier this year for $2 billion, the highest figure ever paid for a pro sports franchise.
Jamie McCourt's attorney, Bertram Fields, told The Associated Press that she “thought very long and very hard about whether to file this motion” but that after other means failed, she returned to court.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Preview of Wednesday’s Reds-Pirates game
- Pirates notebook: MLB metes out suspensions
- Pitcher Cueto shuts down Pirates as Reds cruise to victory at PNC
- Pirates notebook: Rodriguez placed on DL, Hughes promoted
- Preview of Tuesday’s Reds-Pirates game
- Stats Corner: Pirates’ Volquez cruising through innings
- Biertempfel: Kendall’s book offers inside look at life in majors
- Pirates notebook: Catcher Stewart activated; Sanchez demoted
- Pirates notebook: Players show support for Franklin Regional
- Scouting Pirates-Reds matchup
- 3 ejected after Pirates, Brewers brawl