MLB notebook: Indians select Francona to become new manager
Terry Francona is getting back with one of his baseball families.
Francona, who guided the Boston Red Sox to two World Series titles, was named manager of the Cleveland Indians, a team that collapsed in the second half this season after a promising first four months.
The 53-year-old, who played high school baseball growing up in New Brighton, will be introduced as Cleveland's 42nd manager during a Monday news conference at Progressive Field.
Cleveland chose Francona over Sandy Alomar Jr., who served as the club's interim manager for the final six games after Manny Acta was fired Sept. 27. Francona and Alomar, who spent the past three seasons as a coach in Cleveland, were the only candidates to interview for the Indians' opening.
Anderson added to A's bullpen
Oakland left-hander Brett Anderson is on the roster for the AL Division Series against Detroit after missing the last few weeks of the regular season because of a strained right oblique.
Anderson has made only six starts this year — all between Aug. 21 and Sept. 19 — and went 4-2 with a 2.57 ERA.
Tigers add relievers to roster
Rick Porcello and Drew Smyly are on the roster for the Detroit Tigers for their AL Division Series against Oakland.
The Tigers are carrying 11 pitchers, and there was speculation Porcello could be left out because he's not part of the starting rotation for this series.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates’ Martin calls crowd chant ‘petty special’
- Rossi: Pirates can’t waste McCutchen’s prime
- Giants, Bumgarner shut out Pirates in wild-card game
- Bumgarner quiets Blackout crowd with 4-hit shutout
- 20 improbable Pirates wins in 2014
- Giants’ Crawford makes history with slam
- Rossi: No matter outcome, Pirates arrive
- Pirates notebook: Reds deny intent after Cueto plunks McCutchen
- Pirates set sights on making postseason play ‘an every-year deal’
- Mercer’s improved defense at shortstop gives Pirates a boost
- It’s official: Volquez to start Wednesday for Pirates