MLB notebook: Rockies manager Tracy resigns
• Colorado Rockies manager Jim Tracy resigned Sunday, stepping down after the team set a franchise record for losses. The Rockies said a search for Tracy's replacement would begin immediately, but they have no time frame for making a hire. Colorado finished last in the NL West this year, going 64-98. Tracy was promoted from bench coach to manager in May 2009. He was NL Manager of the Year that season after guiding Colorado to the playoffs. The Rockies went 294-308 under Tracy, who had said the past several weeks that he wanted to fulfill the final year of his contract in 2013. But he changed his mind after meeting with Bill Geivett, the team's director of major league operations, for several hours Friday. Asked why Tracy resigned, Geivett said: “I don't think there was any one thing in particular that seemed to stand out, but you'd have to ask him that.” Tracy managed the Pirates in 2006 and ‘07, leading the team to a 135-189 record before being fired Oct. 5, 2007. Tracy replaced current Pirates manager Clint Hurdle when Hurdle was fired in Colorado.
• As expected, the Washington Nationals do not have pitcher Stephen Strasburg on their roster for the NL Division Series against the St. Louis Cardinals. The Cardinals went with one left-hander in the bullpen, Marc Rzepczynski. Players left off from the wild-card playoff were lefty Sam Freeman, catcher Bryan Anderson and infielder Ryan Jackson. Other Nationals not included are infielder Mark DeRosa and lefty John Lannan.
• Jake Arrieta, the Baltimore Orioles' Opening Day starter, and right-hander Zach Britton did not make the roster for their American League Division Series against the New York Yankees.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Kang’s 9th-inning home run gives Pirates wild victory over Twins
- Pirates notebook: Prospect Tucker unaware of ‘trade’ frenzy
- Pirates’ Liriano unaffected by poor last outing against Twins
- Gameday: Pirates at Twins, July 29, 2015
- Pirates third baseman Ramirez’s last ride is about winning a ring
- Gameday: Pirates at Twins, July 28, 2015
- Making splash at MLB trade deadline not always in buyers’ best interest
- Pirates notebook: No sign of improvement for RHP Sadler
- Pirates notebook: Cervelli cherishes All-Star gift from teammate Burnett
- Cole collects MLB-best 14th win as Pirates take series against Nationals
- Pirates minor league report: Moore a breakout star in Morgantown