MLB notebook: Indians' Francona plans to stick around
• Terry Francona signed a four-year contract with the Indians. “I don't want to be a rental manager,” Francona said Monday as he was introduced as the club's 42nd manager. “I didn't want to come in worried. I want to be part of the solution. I want to stick around.” Francona, who grew up in New Brighton and led the Red Sox to two World Series titles, was hired over the weekend by the Indians.
• Players who stood by Jim Tracy while the Rockies endured their worst season in franchise history reiterated their support for him following the manager's resignation over the weekend. Left-hander Jeff Francis said he was surprised to hear Tracy had decided to step down, telling The Associated Press in an email: “I loved playing for him and I think everyone did. The Rockies will miss him for sure.”
• Tigers manager Jim Leyland insisted reliever Al Alburquerque meant no ill will toward the A's when he fielded Yoenis Cespedes' ninth-inning comebacker Sunday and quickly kissed the ball before throwing to first. Yet the manager disagreed with the display.
• The Giants will start left-hander Barry Zito if they get to a Game 4 in their NL Division Series against the Reds, leaving two-time Cy Young Award winner Tim Lincecum in the bullpen.
• On the 56th anniversary of Don Larsen's World Series perfect game, Steiner Sports Memorabilia announced it will auction off the Yankees uniform that Larsen wore while pitching the game. Larsen, 82, figured it was time to part with the jersey that he kept for several years in a closet in Idaho. Steiner anticipates such a historic relic would draw at least seven figures.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Liriano, Pirates complete sweep of Tigers
- Shaken by economic, political turmoil, MLB forsaking Venezuela
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Indians, July 3, 2015
- Pirates notebook: Cole cool about hostile comment
- 2B Walker, Pirates smash through Tigers pitching in road victory
- Gameday: Pirates at Detroit, July 1, 2015
- Bush Center displays rare Honus Wagner baseball card
- Gameday: Pirates at Tigers, July 2, 2015
- Pirates notebook: Pitchers’ ploys force Kang to adapt
- Starkey: Cervelli’s inspiration
- Pirates minor league report: Kramer comes with power potential with short-season Black Bears