MLB notebook: A-Rod sits for Yankees' clincher
• Alex Rodriguez spent the New York Yankees' biggest game of the year on the bench. After being pinch-hit for in Games 3 and 4 against the Baltimore Orioles, the $275 million third baseman was removed from the starting lineup for Game 5 on Friday. “I'm not happy and obviously disappointed,” Rodriguez said. “Want to be in there in the worst way.” Eric Chavez started at third base and went 0 for 3 with two strikeouts. Game 3 star Raul Ibanez was the designated hitter, and he finished 1 for 3 with an RBI. It was the first time A-Rod didn't start a postseason game for his team since 1995. “It is difficult. He has meant a lot to the organization, the game of baseball over the years,” manager Joe Girardi said. “And he has been a very productive hitter. But he struggled against right-handers in the series, and Chavy has been good against right-handers all year long.” Rodriguez, 37, was 2 for 16 (.125) with no RBI in the series, going hitless in 12 at-bats against right-handers with nine strikeouts.
• San Francisco outfielder Melky Cabrera was reinstated by Major League Baseball after serving a 50-game suspension for a positive testosterone test, but he will not be part of the Giants' playoff roster.
• Dave Hansen is out as hitting coach of the Los Angeles Dodgers, who offered him another position within the organization. The team said Hansen has not decided whether to accept. Pitching coach Rick Honeycutt, third base coach Tim Wallach, first base coach Davey Lopes, bench coach Trey Hillman and bullpen coach Ken Howell will return in 2013. Wallach was to be interviewed for the vacant Boston Red Sox managerial job.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates trade for Dodgers 1B/OF Morse, Mariners LHP Happ
- Marte’s 2 fine defensive plays rescue Pirates in victory over Reds
- Pirates place Burnett on 15-day disabled list
- Hurdle: Soria likely to assume setup role with Watson
- Gameday: Pirates at Cincinnati, Aug. 1, 2015
- Pirates’ Burnett endures another poor start in blowout loss to Reds
- Pirates notebook: Blanton introduced; Worley designated for assignment
- Pirates acquire pitcher Blanton from Royals for cash
- Gameday: Pirates at Reds, July 31, 2015
- Pirates bolster bullpen by trading for former closer Soria
- Pirates minor league report: Moore a breakout star in Morgantown