MLB notebook: Umpires selected for AL, NL series
Sam Holbrook, the umpire who made the controversial infield fly call that enraged the Atlanta Braves and their fans in the NL wild-card game, was picked as part of the crew for the AL Championship Series.
Jeff Kellogg is crew chief for the ALCS and was behind the plate for Saturday night's opener between the New York Yankees and Detroit Tigers.
Gary Darling heads the NL Championship Series crew and was slated to work the plate for Sunday's opener between the San Francisco Giants and St. Louis Cardinals.
Yankees alter roster
The Yankees added reliever Cody Eppley to their active roster for the AL Championship Series against Detroit and dropped infielder Eduardo Nunez.
Detroit did not make any changes to its 25-man roster for the best-of-seven series. Teams had until 10 a.m. Saturday to submit their rosters.
Giants coach injured
San Francisco Giants first base coach Roberto Kelly was taken to a hospital after getting hit in the back of the head when a ball hit by Buster Posey struck him while he was standing near second base during batting practice.
Brewers' reliever arrested
A prosecutor said Milwaukee Brewers reliever Francisco Rodriguez was arrested last month on a domestic violence complaint involving his girlfriend. Waukesha County District Attorney Brad Schimel said in an email that Rodriguez has not been charged.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates notebook: Struggling Polanco held out of starting lineup
- Pirates win 5th straight as offense continues to click in win over Marlins
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Marlins, May 27, 2015
- Former pitcher Allie happily adjusting to outfield
- Pirates notebook: Morton’s return to Pirates means Liz leaves
- Book details secret to Pirates’ turnaround
- Pirates notebook: Substance rule a sticky subject
- Pirates pitcher Morton turns in solid performance in win over Marlins
- Going the distance no longer part of the game
- Pirates’ McCutchen laughs off pay stub leak
- Streaking Cubs defeat punchless Pirates, 4-1