MLB notebook: Tigers' Cabrera shuns media; Leyland wants answers
• American League Triple Crown winner Miguel Cabrera left the Tigers' clubhouse without speaking to reporters following his team's 2-0 loss to San Francisco in Game 3 of the World Series, and manager Jim Leyland wants to know why. Cabrera popped out with the bases loaded in the fifth inning and went 1 for 4 on Saturday night. He is 2 for 9 (.222) with an RBI in the Series. “I will deal with the situation and check into it because you have to be there through the good and the bad. You can't be on this podium only when you win,” Leyland said. “When we're 0-3, I've got to be up here, and I'm not the happiest camper in the world.”
• The Tigers scratched catcher Alex Avila from their starting lineup for Game 4 and replaced him with Gerald Laird. Avila, in Sunday night's original starting lineup, had been playing with a sore right arm since he was hit between the elbow and wrist by a foul tip in the opener.
• Dodgers pitcher Clayton Kershaw won the Roberto Clemente Award, given annually to a major league player who gives back through community service and also excels on the field. Clemente, a Hall of Fame right fielder with the Pirates, died in a plane crash on New Year's Eve 1972 while trying to deliver food and relief supplies to earthquake victims in Nicaragua.
• Japanese baseball officials are considering stricter rules for amateur players who bypass the country's professional leagues to play in Major League Baseball. Concern with existing rules arose after pitcher Shohei Otani decided to pursue a career in the major leagues instead of playing Japanese professional baseball.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates notebook: Kang settling in to comfort zone
- Gameday: Pirates vs. San Diego Padres, June 8, 2015
- Pirates get journeyman Ishikawa off waivers; outfielder Marte injured
- Pirates notebook: Four players selected for All-Star Game
- Torn thumb ligament puts Pirates’ Harrison on 15-day disabled list
- Starkey: Burnett writing incredible final chapter
- Gameday: Pirates vs San Diego Padres, July 7, 2015
- Alvarez’s walk-off single lifts Pirates over Padres
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Padres, July 6, 2015
- Alvarez homer triggers winning outburst for Pirates
- Pirates grind out extra-inning win against testy Tigers